Museum Quality display Build

Bi-Weekly discussion topics.

Museum Quality display Build

Postby enigma » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm starting this just to share some of my experience as a custom tank builder through an exhibit quality build performed for myself for a change. I'll be updating this thread routinely as I make progress and provide as many photo's as I can. Enjoy.
With reasonable men, I will reason; with humane men I will plead; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost. --William Lloyd Garrison--
enigma

Re: Museum Quality display Build

Postby enigma » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Project: Custom reef display on a budget using the Aqua-Tech theory of natural reef building and natural feeding protocols. The aquarium would typically be inset in a wall structure. In this case it is produced for myself alone in a utility area with the viewable area being private. This can more easily exhibit what would normally take place behind a wall. I will also use it as my photo studio to shoot livestock in a natural looking environment.

The idea is to have the aquarium sit below Culture vessels and refugia. I use very little skimming in my designs as I consider skimming and indiscriminate method of organic export. I lean on refugia and algal turf scrubbing, more natural export methods. I also like to use as few moving parts as possible so I rely heavily on plumbing instead of dump bucket and powerheads.

In order to make as little impact on environmental collection of "Live Rock" I also try to integrate and control the layout using Polyethelene foam, dry mines rock from Carib Sea and aragocrete. Acrylic and epoxy paint helps seal most of the surfaces to prevent degradation over time.

I will also be trying the egg crate method shown here on MOFIb by another member as I like the look of his build. See viewtopic.php?f=263&t=6091

I begin each build with scale CAD/vector drawings of the exhibit. Then work Backward. Below are the beginnings.
Basement-Tank-Schematic3.jpg

Basement-Tank-Schematic.jpg

Basement-Tank-Schematic2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
With reasonable men, I will reason; with humane men I will plead; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost. --William Lloyd Garrison--
enigma

Postby Rook » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Nice detailed design.

"Acrylic and epoxy paint helps seal most of the surfaces to prevent degradation over time."

Won't that prevent the rock structure from processing nutrients like liverock?
Rook

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Good luck with your build, Mark. I'm looking forward to more.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby enigma » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Rook,

The aragocrete will be largely uncoated and live rock will be used as well. The Polyfoam and other plastics are not UV stable. When you pound them with things like Halides the UV breaks them down rather quickly. You end up with chunks of foam and structures that start to sag our contort. It also helps mimic coraline algae until it fills in naturally.

Thanks Andy, I'm gonna be busy.
enigma

Postby phirefly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Will be very interesting to see the build progression on this, Mark. Looks like a good project!
phirefly

Postby PaulG » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:27 am

Any updates on this?
PaulG

Postby enigma » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:58 am

Actually, yes. But I've been traveling so much I haven't had time to even download the pics. :roll: I'll update soon. :wink:
enigma

Postby PaulG » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:04 am

*BUMP*
PaulG

Return to Discussion Topics