HELP.....Reptile guys I need you !!!

Bi-Weekly discussion topics.

HELP.....Reptile guys I need you !!!

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:20 pm

I just found a amphiuma that looked about dead in my back yard. I went to check on my ducks and saw it just near the water. I don't know if the ducks got hold of it or what. Anyway I brought it in and put it in water from outside (so not to shock it with warm water). It started to move again. It has lots of scratches on its body. I want it to slowly warm up and them I'll give it warmer water and a tank. But can anyone tell me what else to do for it. It is pretty young and really cute. I don't want it to get a fungal infection. Fuel, Luis, etc. if you guys see this please help.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Re: HELP.....Reptile guys I need you !!!

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Looks like I may be a little more worried about this guy than I need to be. He was dry to the touch when I found him and looked dead. Now he is swimming around and looks pretty good. These guys must be pretty sturdy. But I'm still worried about a fungal infection. So if any of you guys think there is something I should treat this guy with let me know. I'm good with turtles but amphibian skin is no where near as easy. I should have titled this thread amphibian guys but I knew that you guys have had experience with both.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Never mind I just found the little guy dead. :cry: :cry: He was so active just a couple hours ago. I tried to be slow and careful........dang it. I need to go see JC now and feed him. He is my amphiuma that I've had for about three years now. He is so mean I named him JC to be funny.........sorry too much information I know. And I can't stay mad at my ducks........that is if they are to blame.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Luis A M » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:31 pm

How many fingers?.Beware of their nasty bites :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, but I can't help it I love them. Creepy and cute. :lol: This little guy was too young to tell what kind he was too. I couldn't see how may toes it had. My ducks will not be getting a treat tonight. :lol:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Anthony Calfo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 pm

Sorry it didn't work out, hon. I think they are awesome creatures. We seem to be cut from the same cloth as pet keepers too BTW. I think we've both kept if not tried to breed darn near everything we've come across! Cichlids... birds... reptiles... sure, amphibians too. My guess is that your repertoire is quite extensive :)

FWIW on the treatment for amphibian wounds, you can often use neutroflavin. While I used to fall back on the old standby bacteriostatic, acriflavine, for a first pass... I've shifted to neutroflavine in recent years (mainly for fungus prevention on eggs since I hand rear most fish eggs). Less things are sensitive to it wheras acriflavine and even methylene blue can be quite toxic to many organisms. Neutroflavine is safe for most amphibian eggs, BTW. Hence the recommendation here.
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks so much Anthony. And you are right I want to breed everything.I'm finding that most of us fish nuts just tend to love nature. :D But the ducks were like a lot of things around here and were a rescue.The amphiuma JC was too. I seem to be the local go to person for unwanted pets. :roll: And I have a hard time saying no. Thanks for the advice. I figure I will need to know again one day with something else. That Cuban tree frog I brought up on Kathy's thread was a rescue too fwiw. There is a local tree importer that found her on one of his trees and didn't want to set her loose on our local tree frogs. She would have ate a few for sure. So somehow he knew to find me. :lol:

Now back to eels.......

Amy
Midnight Angel

Return to Discussion Topics