Winter Hurting Fish Farmers

Bi-Weekly discussion topics.

Winter Hurting Fish Farmers

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Hey guys I know this is a saltwater forum but I had to post about this. I also raise lots of freshwater fish here so I was saddened to hear what is going on these days. Anyway I got a email today about what is going on in Florida right now and it is really sad. My heart goes out to the freshwater fish farmers down there. Florida has had some really low temps. for the past few weeks and the fish are all really suffering down there. The South American cichlid farmers have really been hit hard. I brought all of my mollies, swordtails, and cichlids in this year and boy I'm glad I did. I now have lots of fish that everyone needs because of it. It could be as much as 10% of the farmers that will lose their businesses because of this cold weather. My heart goes out to them and their families.

Amy Drehmel
Midnight Angel

Re: Winter Hurting Fish Farmers

Postby xroads » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:16 pm

I hear you.

A friend said he saw on the news a huge pond full of clownfish that they were worried about dying. I found it hard to beleive but he said they were clownfish.
xroads

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 pm

Where was this pond of clownfish ? I have a greenhouse and still brought my fish in because I lost so many last winter. I only had freshwater outside though. I had it heated last year but I also have turtles and tortoises. I spent so much money on heat last year and still lost salvini (the first cichlid to drop from the cold evey time.........I bet the price of these guys will go up because there is now a shortage). Anyway I can't bring in 80lb tortoise so they got the heat this year and the fish had to come in. I got fish everywhere around here. :roll: But I'm so glad I do :D

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Surfzone » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:55 pm

This has been a hard one on Florida all around they have lost manatees and a lot of oranges due to the cold weather.
Kevin
Surfzone

Postby spawner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Yea I know a guy that lost 100% everything they had outside. They had a ton of great African cichlid. Good news is that a lot of the exotic pest are taking a big hit. That was much needed
spawner

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:36 pm

That poor man. I lost 75% of what I had last year. After crying on the floor (what this female fish breeder does in these situations :lol: ) over losing all my chocolate cichlids last year I brought my fish in early this year. The house smells a little like jack dempeys but hey they are still alive along with the rest. :roll: :lol:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby LargeAngels » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:22 am

It is sad.

Yeah, the Iguana's are falling out of the trees. One guy picked a bunch up, threw them in the back of his car and when they warmed up from the car they attacked him causing a car accident.
LargeAngels

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:40 pm

OMG :!: It doesn't surprise me though. I have a iguana here that I rescued that I had to put a feeding tube in just to feed it. It was so weak that crickets would try to eat it. :shock: Anyway after she got better she became so mean that I can't do much with her. It takes two people to deal with her and she whips you with her tail the whole time. :roll: If they are not handled lots when they are young they are pretty nasty.

Did the man survive the car crash :?: Poor guy....

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby enigma » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Yeah, it is a pretty bad situation down there. It is even affecting the wild populations of animals. A close friend works at the turtle hospital and she said fish are washing up on the shores. Check out this link on the turtle situation too.

http://www.turtlehospital.org/blog/?p=1034

The link will navigate you away from MOFIB so remember to come back :wink:
With reasonable men, I will reason; with humane men I will plead; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost. --William Lloyd Garrison--
enigma

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Well that is the worst news so far :cry: As if those poor things needed anything else working against them. Mark your friend is a angel and so are all the other people who have helped all those turtles. 8) I hope all those guys make it and the mamatees too :!: :!: :!:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby enigma » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks Angel, I'll pass on the well wishes. Manatees are warm blooded, so cold doesn't affect them as much. The folks that work at the hospital work for essentially cost of living so they really are special to commit to so much for so little. Turtles in the key's especially depend on them. I've seen some real heroism with them.
With reasonable men, I will reason; with humane men I will plead; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost. --William Lloyd Garrison--
enigma

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:33 pm

I bet. There is a rescue center for them here too at the South Carolina Aquarium. I think people who work with the sea turtles are probably my biggest idols but seahorse breeders are pretty darn cool too. :wink: I stay off the seahorse threads here because I don't know much about them but one day I'll be picking your brain Mark. Really it is sweet that we have so many seahorse breeders now........you guys rock 8) . Sorry got a little off topic there. :lol:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby enigma » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Definitely inspiring to see so many new SH breeders who have taken the skill so much farther than way back in the day (2001) when I was doing it. A lot of great ideas an successes!
enigma

Postby Midnight Angel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Well to give everyone a idea of how bad things have gotten for the freshwater fish breeders there is now a shortage of convict cichlids. :shock: I have never bred these guys. I have known people in the past that couldn't give these fish away. They are pretty much like freshwater cockroaches. I mean that in the nicest way though. They are hard to kill and you can't keep them from breeding. :lol: I'm really shocked to see a shortage of these guys.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Mark it looks like ORA is now helping out with the turtles down in Florida too. :D I just read about it on Reef Builders fwiw. What a bunch of sweet guys and gals :!:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Return to Discussion Topics