housing breeders together?

Bi-Weekly discussion topics.

housing breeders together?

Postby jadeguppy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:12 am

I am very limited on space, but would like to try breeding the four species listed this year (bangaii, dragonface pipefish, firefish, peppermint shrimp) Will they all be fine to house together in a planted tank without eating the babies before I can get them out with a snagger, etc.? If so, what is the minimum size required? (I can go up from there if space allows) I know that I will need to keep the tank very clean and feed heavy, but that isn't anything new for me. My 125g is heavily fed and filtered with an algae turf scrubber, which works better for my nitrates and for pods for my mandarins.
jadeguppy

Re: housing breeders together?

Postby D3monic » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:27 pm

The bangaii are ravenous eaters. I had to fight with mine to collect my Mandarin eggs before he would eat them all. Everyone would probably have a field day with the peppermint larvae as well.
Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

Proud member of JARC (joliet area reef club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcuF4Wkcl8 Current Mood.
D3monic

Re: housing breeders together?

Postby jadeguppy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:48 pm

Okay. I have two male(I think) bangaii and am in need of a female. I may just keep them in my 125g and try collecting the fry from there. What size tank do you think the peppermints will need? I'm think of about gettting 4 or 6? If I can provide plenty of food, do you think the firefish (4) and pipefish (pair) will do well in a planted 20g high?
jadeguppy

Return to Discussion Topics