Best Products or Breakthroughs for 2009

Bi-Weekly discussion topics.

Best Products or Breakthroughs for 2009

Postby Morgman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Hey MOFIBs!!! Inspired by Reef Builders post, "Reef Builders Staff picks best aquarium products of 2009," I thought what product or technique was a breakthrough for me in 2009?

That is an easy one for me, it is Reed Mariculture's Rotigrow Plus. Wow what an amazing product. This algae blend is an absolute godsend. It makes raising rots much easier with less work. I'd rather be working with larvae then trying to get my rots in peak condition. My rots number have doubled even tripled with the same work as before. Next time you need to order algae try giving Rotigrow Plus a try. You will not be disappointed. Happy New Year MOFIBs.

What is your Breakthrough product or technique for 2009?

http://www.rotigrow.com/

http://www.rotigrow.com/RotiGrowPlusproduct%20sheet.pdf

--Morgan
Morgman

Re: Best Products or Breakthroughs for 2009

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:13 pm

I second that. A great product.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:58 am

I thought of a few more that made my year:

Nutramar Ova: Instrumental in getting my harlequin filefish interested in frozen foods.

Liquid T-Iso starters: Way, way easier to start than from disks.

Oyster Feast: I'm buying this stuff by the quart now. Great food for corals and my Hippocampus comes took it as a first food.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:51 am

"Umm, fish?" wrote:...my Hippocampus comes took it as a first food.

You really mean "first"? As in, before rotifers, before NHBBS, before enriched BBS; GENUINELY, TRULY, REALLY first?!?!?!?
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Postby rsman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:57 am

"Umm, fish?" wrote:Liquid T-Iso starters: Way, way easier to start than from disks.

i may be missing a LOT, but i KNOW i bought t-iso 8+ years ago as a liquid in a starter form.... so whats new?
GONE!!!
rsman

Postby David M » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:19 am

Hmm... best thing that happened for me this year was divorce :roll: Related though, it means I have a LOT more time to dedicate to aquaculture :mrgreen:

Oh and I second the hippocampus "first food" question, hard to imagine an obligate carnivore fry taking something that doesn't move as food :shock: I'm gonna assume you meant first "transitional" food ?
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby Zooid » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:43 am

"Umm, fish?" wrote:I second that. A great product.

Add me to that list.
This stuff is so clean that I use it for greenwater for my clowns. Not really supposed to but I thought I'd try it and it worked great.
I've had no losses through meta on my batch of black and white ocellaris.
Zooid

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:54 pm

i may be missing a LOT, but i KNOW i bought t-iso 8+ years ago as a liquid in a starter form.... so whats new?

See below:

what product or technique was a breakthrough for me in 2009

You really mean "first"? As in, before rotifers, before NHBBS, before enriched BBS; GENUINELY, TRULY, REALLY first?!?!?!?

I mean, no rots. I had bacterial bloom problems though as soon as I started adding BBS (source of the bacteria) to the mix. I could maybe solve that by adding a ciliate to help control the bacteria, but that kind of defeats the purpose of not having to culture rots. Except that Oyster Feast has a nice nutritional profile.

Here's a video, first feeding of day 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB2LeFo-Bo0
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:47 pm

I've got to say I can't clearly see them snicking in the video, but I'll take your word for it. Nice big Amphipod makes a cameo appearance! :) This is very interesting that you got them to take non-live food. I'll definitely be checking it out.
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Yeah, the amphipod is on the outside of the kreisel. :)

The problem with OF is that it is a light gray in their system, so it doesn't show up clearly like BBS does. Maybe add some food coloring or something. Here's a photo, though: http://www.ummfish.com/comes_noBBS_day3_7-18-09.jpg
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Zooid » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:08 pm

"Umm, fish?" wrote: I had bacterial bloom problems though as soon as I started adding BBS (source of the bacteria) to the mix.

Andy, I know you decapsulate but when you strain the BBS, do you rinse them well with fresh water?
After I started rinsing my BBS thoroughly, I get far less bacteria in my larvae tanks.
Zooid

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I do, but the problem is that OF is of a size distribution that some of it can be used by the bacteria as a direct food source. I had a talk with Gresham about it.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby jadeguppy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:48 pm

Where do you guys buy the Reed Mariculture's Rotigrow Plus and Oyster feast? I see a link to information about Rotigrow, but can't find a site with an actual price. Do you think mandarine or firefish will take to oyster feast?
jadeguppy

Postby Zooid » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:29 pm

We buy it from a local fish store that is a vendor for Reed. Just ask your store to order it in for you.
Zooid

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:06 am

Or, I think you can call Reed's directly. It's not on their website.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:56 am

For Roti-grow, call or email them. It's the same price as rotifer diet. I just got some yesterday. Interesting color. Why can't it be used for greenwater?
KathyL

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:20 pm

The oils are great in the rot tanks but in larval tanks the oils can make a scum on the water surface.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Zooid » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:40 pm

"Umm, fish?" wrote:The oils are great in the rot tanks but in larval tanks the oils can make a scum on the water surface.

IME the oils from Rotigrow Plus mix pretty well with the water. I used this for green water for my clowns with no ill effects. Randy said something to the effect
that some larvae may need to inflate a float bladder(?). In this case, they may have a hard time with the oils.
Zooid

Postby D3monic » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:14 pm

I was forced to use OF with Mandarin larvae when my rot culture crashed. It seemed like it got a few by but the water was quickly polluted and I started having bacteria issues. This was with my old Kreisel design though so it may actually work if you have decent water excange.
Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

Proud member of JARC (joliet area reef club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcuF4Wkcl8 Current Mood.
D3monic

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 am

That was my deal, too. I got all these seahorse babies and hadn't gotten the rots going yet. I tried it with a larger mesh size for water exchange with the parent tank water. That was a mistake as the bacteria got in quicker. But it might be different with a dedicated larval system and cleaner water.

Gale: I think it might be a problem if the oils are not consumed fast enough and become rancid.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Return to Discussion Topics