PVC pipe and fitting sizes for breeding setups

Bi-Weekly discussion topics.

PVC pipe and fitting sizes for breeding setups

Postby sanjay » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:01 pm

Looking for some information on what people are doing and using as far as PVC pipes, fittings etc to be used in breeding tanks for these different fish.

1) Orchid Dottybacks - I have put in a 3" peice of 1" PVC capped at both ends with a 1/2" hole drilled in one of the caps. The male does go in, but I have not seen the female go in. The problem is that its difficult to see inside the opaque pipe. Any other suggestions on what people are using ?

2) Pelsiops Corallicola and Plesiops coeruleolineatus - picked up 2 each of these a while back.

3) Flame Tail Blennies - Picked up 2 of these yesterday. One larger than the other.. hoping they will pair up.

sanjay.
sanjay

Re: PVC pipe and fitting sizes for breeding setups

Postby Scottt » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:31 am

I'd also like to know what people were using successfully. I was just using 1" T's. The cave idea sounds better though.
Scottt

Postby Chelsey » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:22 pm

What if you drilled a small slit longways in the PVC so that you had a small "window" in which to view what's going on inside the tube? In Witt's book he mentions lots of different options with PVC and dottybacks, though it's been a little while since I've read that particular section.
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
~750 gallon (and growing) broodstock system
Chelsey

Postby PaulG » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:17 am

For my orchid dottybacks I use a 2.5" section of 15mm diameter PVC pipe capped on 1 end only.

Its easy to tell if teh female has gone in there.... she will be really big & bulging & then the next time you see her she will be skinny again, also a lot of the time teh males behaviour will tell you something is going to happen [there is lots of leading behaviour]

Can't help with teh others though.
PaulG

Postby sanjay » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:51 am

I am not around all day to keep an eye on the tanks. So that makes it difficult to follow a lot of the visual fish cues. Its a lot easier to be able to see if there are eggs in the tube. Unfortunately, I lost the fridmani pair and have to start over again.

This time I will try tube open at one end and capped at the other, making it easier to see into it.

sanjay.
sanjay

Return to Discussion Topics