To run or not to run carbon and a phosphate removal media?

Bi-Weekly discussion topics.

To run or not to run carbon and a phosphate removal media?

Postby gillz888 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Does anyone run carbon or phospahte removal media in their broodstock systems? I was think about running carbon and possibly a phosphate removal media. I am currently conditioning Pajama Cardinals. Are there any negatives to running these in a broodstock system?
gillz888

Re: To run or not to run carbon and a phosphate removal medi

Postby Suzy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:28 pm

I use carbon but po4 absorber is too expensive. I use macro algae and water changes to reduce po4.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Is phosphate a concern with only fish? PO4 absorbers are common in reef tanks, never heard of someone using it on a fish only tank.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:03 am

I am not sure. Fish have blood, kidneys and internal organs to regulate their body electrolytes, but I wonder if having abnormal levels of any electrolyte would cause stress for them?

I love large water changes myself. Adding elements, trying to reduce others always seems like a game of catch up. I never feel I can get the balance right by testing and adding. Doing a water gets a least that water perfect.

There are so many things we can't test for anyway. I had my water tested professionally once, and the potassium was critically low. That freaked me out. Low potassium in humans will kill us. But, like I said, fish have ways to regulate those electrolytes. I still wonder if they can regulate it as well as humans do.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby onsan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:17 pm

If you want a very cost effective phosphate absorbing media, go to your local pool shop and grab a bottle of Pool Starver (Phosphate remover).
They are generally Lanthanum compounds, my preference is for Lanthanum glycolate hexahydrate, as it can be settled out of solution and contained within a vessel in-situ, whereas the Lanthanum Chloride is miscible in water and will need to be collected via fine mesh sock or skimmer.
onsan

Return to Discussion Topics