Fishroom Rebuild

Fishroom Rebuild

Postby PaulG » Mon May 09, 2011 4:27 am

I have had a dedicated fishroom up and running for a few years now, I more or less built it to give me a dedicated room to do what I want and for the most part it has proved itself quite well.
However there were a few things that I didn't like about it:
-Not insulated well enough
-Mould
-Saltwater & concrete floor
-Sump placement
-Rack placements
-Racks are rusting (I expected this but they were cheaper than building from wood at the time)
-no proper electrical (strings of powerboards :oops: )
-Saltwater has started to eat into the fibreboard
-too many pumps (3 atm)

Ok I think thats about enough!

Considering all of this I am seriously thinking of rebuilding the fishroom come spring/summer (5 months away) so in the meantime I have a bit of time to plan this out and hopefully all the shrimp will line up so I can go ahead with it.

The current fishroom occupies half of the double garage and this foot print will remain, the space I have to work with is 2300mm x 4400mm, yes its shorter than the garage by about 1000mm or so because whats left is a storage space for NSW Storage (currently a 1000L IBC which I have teh option of a second IBC to sit on top).
Currently 2 sides of the room are single brick and this is where most of my temperature problems are coming from, the other 2 sides are a framed wall with glasswool insulation covered by 9mm fibreboard (no tapping of seams or anything).

As I didn't seal the framed walls very well [read as, at all] I'm suspecting that mould will be rampant through teh batts, wooden frame, there has been some surface mould on teh ceiling of the existing fishroom and at time condensation on teh ceiling so I'm intending to rip all the walls down and start from scratch, I will also seal teh brick walls as well as the concrete floor that makes up the fishroom as teh saltwater that has made it to the floor has been eating away teh concrete :oops:

All lighting in the new fishroom will be provided by LEDs (current power consumption from lighting is approx 200W x 14 hours a day!!!!!) so this should bring it down to approx 50w and allow me to do some 'funky' stuff like simulate sunrise/sunset, clouds, etc by being able to activly control the lights. Since I don't actually 'work' in there apart from cleaning tanks, its only for the fishes benefit.

As things come together or I have more ideas I'll post them here, no doubt I will be looking for suggestions from everyone at some stage as well.

Till next time
PaulG

Re: Fishroom Rebuild

Postby Ben » Mon May 09, 2011 6:52 am

i wish i could start from scratch again my set up would be very different
if only i could convince the wife
sounds like its going to be good
cant wait to see a pic or 2
Ben

Postby PaulG » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:08 am

Well Over the weekend past, I demolished 'Fishroom V1.'0, very satisfying it was (you know the feeling of satisfaction that one gets when you take a very large hammer to something and smash it into a whole lot of little somethings?).

I was quite surprised that I had no mould inside the cavity walls.

So I've decided to shorten the room by about 100mm to give me a little bit extra room for teh NSW storage IBC container, no issue really.

Something I've been thinking about though is how to run all teh plumbing, specifically the return line(s), I'm going to have a number of BRT's as well as a number of glass tanks (much teh same as it was) however I do want to run them on a central system (yes yes I know I shouldn't but I'de been running the system for teh last 12 months as a single system.... makes life so much easier with water changes and trasnferring larvae between tanks).

I am also seriously considering a titanium heat exchanger run from the household gas hot water service since the cost of electricity is set to quadruple in the next 5 years :( which should save me a bundle as well as give me better temp control of water temp. Alternativly I'll get a 'small' gas hot water service installed specifically for the fishroom.

I've decided to pull out the steel pallet racking and its rusting way way too much for my liking (even though it all powder coated) so I'll be building the new shelfs out of lumber.

I've still got to dismanlt all teh remaining tanks in what was the room but with the walls gone I can now 'swing a cat' in relative safety lol

All of this should keep me busy for a little while, whcih I need currently as my new job is giving me plenty of spare time lol.

Till teh next episode....
PaulG

Postby Suzy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:13 am

Are you planning on using pressure treated lumber? I did, thinking it was best, but I had a friend at work building a playhouse for his kids outdoors. They told him that wood was toxic? His kids are old enough to not be eating it, and he told the guy that. He was told the fumes are bad for kids. Have you ever heard that?

I covered all my walls with the plastic stuff people used to use to build showers. It is cheap, easy to clean and salt creep doesn't stick to it. And most everything else is covered in that cheap rolled linoleum.

Thanks for the build thread. I always learn so much from these!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:31 am

Oh, I can't wait to see some pics! Someone on their 2nd build is someone to learn from! :D

Suzy wrote:They told him that wood was toxic? His kids are old enough to not be eating it, and he told the guy that. He was told the fumes are bad for kids. Have you ever heard that?

That is true! The fumes only last so long though...maybe 6 months?

PaulG wrote:I was quite surprised that I had no mould inside the cavity walls.

Not too long ago I was a carpenter by trade. Provided the walls are well sealed (even a well sealing paint over gypsum board does the trick) the mold won't travel to the inside of the wall unless the moisture gets in there. Where people make the mistake is they leave the gypsum up off the floor by 3/4" (as designed), but then the bottom plate of the framing is left exposed. Water goes through wood very well! Run your flooring up the wall to create a seal and the mold won't get in there.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby Suzy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Easter, would venting to the outside prevent this? I keep wondering if i should add a bathroom fan to vent to my garage but I live in the desert...my husband thinks I'm nuts.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby PaulG » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:49 pm

EasterEggs wrote:
Not too long ago I was a carpenter by trade. Provided the walls are well sealed (even a well sealing paint over gypsum board does the trick) the mold won't travel to the inside of the wall unless the moisture gets in there. Where people make the mistake is they leave the gypsum up off the floor by 3/4" (as designed), but then the bottom plate of the framing is left exposed. Water goes through wood very well! Run your flooring up the wall to create a seal and the mold won't get in there.

The walls were not sealed properly, I did have a gasket under the bottom plate and wrapped it up the sides (inside & outside of teh room) to prevent water touching wood, however I didn't seal the sheeting after it was put up, this is why I was surprised there was no mould in the cavity but I had put glass wool in teh cavities but was still expecting mould to be there (no, no vapour barrier, they don't use it in Aus, at least they never used too when I used to build houses with my old man)

Suzy wrote:Easter, would venting to the outside prevent this? I keep wondering if i should add a bathroom fan to vent to my garage but I live in the desert...my husband thinks I'm nuts.

Actually, yes you shoudl vent the garage..... anything metal in the garage will go rusty very quickly otherwise!
PaulG

Postby PaulG » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:55 pm

PaulG wrote:
EasterEggs wrote:

The walls were not sealed properly, I did have a gasket under the bottom plate and wrapped it up the sides (inside & outside of teh room) to prevent water touching wood, however I didn't seal the sheeting after it was put up, this is why I was surprised there was no mould in the cavity but I had put glass wool in teh cavities but was still expecting mould to be there (no, no vapour barrier, they don't use it in Aus, at least they never used too when I used to build houses with my old man)

Suzy wrote:Easter, would venting to the outside prevent this? I keep wondering if i should add a bathroom fan to vent to my garage but I live in the desert...my husband thinks I'm nuts.

Actually, yes you shoudl vent the garage..... anything metal in the garage will go rusty very quickly otherwise!

Regarding Pressure Treated timber, no, no need for it, over hear we only use it to stop things eating it eg. termites... considerign that normal timber held up so well, I'll be using it again.

As far as teh toxicity of pressure treated timber goes..... over here at least it can't be toxic or leach at least as a LOT of childrens playgrounds have numerous things made out of it.... think along the lines of 'koppers logs' hell I even remeber playin on them when I was a kid at school and that was a 30 years ago!
They are poisonous if they are burt though and you breath the smoke
PaulG

Postby EasterEggs » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Suzy, yes you should vent!

PaulG wrote:As far as teh toxicity of pressure treated timber goes..... over here at least it can't be toxic or leach at least as a LOT of childrens playgrounds have numerous things made out of it....

Ya, but "they" say that DEET is safe too. ;) I could go on with a really long list of "safe" things that I don't think are! :shock:

No need to use treated lumber anyway. Throw a coat of semi-gloss paint on the un-treated wood and it's good for 5-10 years provided the bases/legs are protected.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby PaulG » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:39 pm

MAJOR Update

Well since I demolished 'Fish Room v1.0' I am some what surprised at just how much more money I'm saving lol, as such we have decided to buy a house so the whole 'fish room v2.0' is officially being put on hold for at least 3 to 6 months.

We have decided on an area which is about 60km's away from where we currently are and I'll even have enough room for a shed and we know what THAT means :D

So no fish breeding stuff for awhile, unless I get sick of waiting and I might setup 3 BRT's in the house which I used before I built the fishroom.
It also means an in wall tank approx 10' long viewable from both sides (one side my office the other the lounge room) :D

now how much time this will leave me for playing with fishies is yet to be seen but hopefully LOTS.

Updates as they occur!
PaulG

Postby Suzy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 am

A new house? SWEET!

So, a shed means what for you? I have a house, but it is frigid cold here in the winter. It would cost as much as a house for me.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby PaulG » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:27 pm

I have to build the shed first so I'll be taking over half of the garage in the meantime :|

Insulation will need to be top notch in the shed as it does get cool out where we are looking (rural) but not much of a difference to where we are now.

Although I think I'm more excited about the possibilities of a 10' inwall tank inside :D
PaulG

Return to Growout