Home-based and small business aquaculture

Re: Home-based and small business aquaculture

Postby KathyL » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:22 pm

I thought I would bump this to get more interest going.
KathyL

Postby roshi719 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:35 am

Anthony, I am in the process of setting up a small anemone culture facility, and I could use all the help you care to give.
roshi719

Postby Scottt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:44 pm

In a greenhouse?
Scottt

Postby roshi719 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:02 pm

For now it is in my basement, but if it goes good I will put up a small greenhouse.
roshi719

Postby Scottt » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Awesome roshi719! I'm excited to read about your plans/build. I've always been interested in something like that.
Scottt

Postby mangrovejack22 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:56 pm

Probably asking this question too early in this thread, but i was wondering if it is necessary to seal a rack or shelf system built out of 2x4's or similar? Assuming water will be spilled from the upper levels and perhaps find its way into open sumps or containers at floor level, what is a good choice for a sealant? All the info about making sure the stud framework of the room is moisture sealed got me thinking about the shelf/rack i had pictured in my head for my room in the basement. My existing stand on the tank is slowing swelling and looking like its just a matter of time before i come home to a disaster. Thanks in advance :)
mangrovejack22

Postby Anthony Calfo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Cheers, Roshi. My apologies for the delay. The holidays and work have kept me away for a bit. Great to hear of your ambition. I'd love to help if I can. I have made a significant portion of my living through the years farming anemones and cnidarians on the whole. I've also seen and/or consulted more than a few dozen folks doing the same through the years. I say this often too, but lets please make your thread separate for tidy archiving and to help the site and future searchers out. An anemone far project deserves a proper thread of it's own. Please ask specific questions and alert me when you've started it, if you like.

Jack. Howdy :) Most folks in the US (with home-based fishrooms) use timber to construct their stands and fixtures. Other materials are usually too expensive on the initial outlay (though often a better value in the long run). I have framed my own stands and fixtures almost only out of wood through the years. As you might guess, particle board is a huge no-non and even plywood will swell dangerously if not protected from water. Timber is stronger of course, but unless strapped together (ala headers on the horizontal spans) they can warp and sag in time (causing aquaria to torque and breach). So, yes... gotta seal wood products. My preference is epoxy based coatings. They are a long-term solution for a mid-shelf price. You can easily find many epoxies that are "baby-safe" non-toxic once dried. That's it short and sweet. Even the best household paints alternatively will not hold up to moisture and spillage over time. They may hold for some years, but can peel and allow wood to warp. Spend the extra few tens of dollars and get epoxy from the start instead, my friend.
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Postby createyourown » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Great thread Anthony, I have been thinking about doing this for sometime now. Now I need to clear it with the wife =D
createyourown

State/Region: unknown

Postby Kmiec123 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:20 pm

createyourown wrote:Great thread Anthony, I have been thinking about doing this for sometime now. Now I need to clear it with the wife =D

Welcome to the hardest aspect of fish breeding. :D
Kmiec123

Postby KathyL » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:38 pm

I have no problems with wife. Funny.
KathyL

Postby jadeguppy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 pm

I have to agree with Kathy, no problem with wife. Husband is another story...
jadeguppy

Postby mangrovejack22 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Anthony, thanks for all tips thus far. My next question is how to handle an egress window in a basement? The area i have to use as my fish room has 2 windows, one on each adjacent wall. I was wondering how you would approach minimizing the btu losses during winter. The windows can't be removed as they're built per code to allow exit from the basement. Thanks in advance as always.
mangrovejack22

Postby dtfleming » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Anymore updates?
dtfleming

Postby cisco006 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:39 pm

Hello Anthony,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your many contributions to this beautiful hobby that I enjoy so much. I particularly admire your foresight that we live in a capitalistc world, and the only way we can save the reefs, is to make it economically feasible. So once again... Thank you

I have a 290 gallon mixed reef aquarium. The tank is an inwall setup that faces my living room, but the otherside is my garage, which is slowly but surely becoming a dedicated fishroom. The tank is currently sumpless, only a small box which houses an AquaC EV-400 skimmer which is being pushed to its max by a Iwaki 100 pump.(the pump is throtled back slightly with a gate valve). 250lbs of Live Rock and 3" sandbed for biological filtration. The tank also employs an automatic water change system that is fed by a 200gallon resovoir that is filled monthly with fresh clean natural seawater (I live in South Florida). Everyday an automatic 5 gallon waterchange is done. So far the system has been up for 3 months and water quality is perfect...

I have been inspired by you to begin propagating RBTA. I have purchased 2x50gallon rubbermaid stock tanks (52" x 31" x 12") which I am going to plumb into my system. My plan is to use 1 of the stock tanks for propagation and the other stock tank will have live rock and refugium for macroalgea. A couple of questions for you senor. How many anemones can I hold in this 50 gallon tank. If the answer is lets say 50 or so... do you think that my system will be sufficient to handle the bioload of 50 heavily fed anemones?

As for Lighting, I was thinking of 4x54 T5 bulbs... Is this suffice? What color temp? white or actinic? I read on other threads that standard homedepot power compact lights will do the job, if so will there be any ill effects with coloration of the RBTA's if non aquarium specific lighting is used?

As for Watermovement. I was thinking the Tunze Nano Wavebox could work very well in this application.... I know they are not cheap... but they sure are energy efficient and my experiences with tunze have been very good. Do I even need to supplement water movement for anemones? The prop tank will have close to 1500 gallons per hour running through it as the water makes its way around the system.

One last thing.... do I have to run airstones in the proptank? I read something about this in another thread. Howabout the use of ozone?

Ok, Im done for now. If you need any additional info please let me know.

Thank you,

Cisco
cisco006

Postby Crooks » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:23 am

This is a great thread.
Crooks

Postby fishkeeper7 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:11 am

marcel and anthony, your job sounds AWESOME.

i wonder where this thread went? it was a very interesting read to say the least.
fishkeeper7

Postby fote03 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Tagging along lots of great info!
fote03

Postby PaulG » Mon May 09, 2011 3:19 am

Do any of the aussie's know where to source something similar to 'Tekfoil' from in Australia?
PaulG

Postby spanishmack » Mon May 09, 2011 7:52 am

Paul, there are a few products out there,

sisalation is one

i think there is also a product called vapour check

most insulation companies will have sisalation or a similar product, just make sure you go with medium or heavy duty, light duty tears too much for my liking.

I was getting right into this thread, hopefully Anthony comes back soon :crossfingers:

i am in the process of building my fish room, some handy points raised so far that i will incorporate into mine
spanishmack

Previous

Return to Growout