Selling to wholesale

Selling to wholesale

Postby NirvanaFan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:57 pm

How many standard ocellaris does one need to produce weekly/monthly/whatever time frame in order to even bother contacting a wholesaler? Obviously they won't give you the time of the day unless you can get them a certain amount of fish. My plan is to start with my breeding ocellaris, then move onto black ocellaris, orchid dottyback, clarkii, GSM, then add orange skunk last.
NirvanaFan

Re: Selling to wholesale

Postby Limerickman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:27 pm

I was actually wondering that myself, along with what kids of prices do wholesalers pay in general.

What about dealing with places such as liveaquaria.com do they buy direct from breeders or via wholesalers?
Limerickman

Postby spawner » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Ocellaris are pretty saturated in the market. So anyone coming in with new supply is going to be looking at low prices and very picky wholesalers. Getting in the door is going to require some work. Larger fish, large numbers in inventory, great color, etc. etc.

They will likely want a few hundred fish a week or every other week.
spawner

Postby NirvanaFan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:06 pm

Thank you for the info Spawner. I appreciate it. It is exactly what I was looking for. From my understanding, you have to have ocellaris to even get your foot in the door, that is why I asked about them in particular. I've had my pair for over 4 years now.

On a side note, I picked up a pair of GSM clowns today. The female is 4+ inches and the male is about 2 inches. Hopefully I can feed them lots and get them spawning soon.

Thanks again!
NirvanaFan

Postby xroads » Mon May 02, 2011 1:12 pm

Liveaquaria ships from Quality Marine, they only house Divers Den fish in stock.

Wholesale to stores right now is $8 for Oscellaris. They are usually very small and bland. You can hardly ever find medium or large Oscellaris. They are often out of stock of even the small ones. You can expect to get $3 for small, $5-6 for mediums.

My goal would be to supply 100 good quality medium a month as a starting spot.

B&W Wholesale to stores are $28. The above holds true for everything else. Expect $8-$10ea per hundred.
xroads

Postby xroads » Mon May 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Oh & skip the Clarkii's. You cant give them away. Wholesale to stores is often $3-$5 which means you will get less then a dollar.

Replace them with Banggaiis. CB are in high demand from the wholesalers.
xroads

Postby NirvanaFan » Mon May 02, 2011 9:51 pm

Thank you for the information xroads. I REALLY appreciate it. Medium are about 1-1.25 inches?

I kind of bought the clarkii pair as an investment. I figured I would try to raise a few batches and if I couldn't sell them, I would just sell the pair. I can get 1/3 the selling cost from the LFS, so I will still get $5. They'll probably only take a handful a month though. They are large enough to breed, and I only paid $40 for the pair. I figured I can use the challenge.

My best friend has a pair of black ocellaris. They're not spawning yet, but are large enough to, and are getting very aggressive. I already offered to buy the nests off him. He agreed to a good deal for both of us. Once I start selling some fish, I plan on getting a pair of my own.

I've got a pair of Bangaiis. I just need to keep feeding them lots to get them going.

Thanks again for the information. I appreciate it.
NirvanaFan

Postby xroads » Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 am

The Small is 1.25 and smaller usually. !.25-1.75 is medium, and 1.75 is large, 2.25 and bigger is jumbo.

I would be surprised if you got $5 for Clarkiis to tell you the truth, we cant hardly give them away to customers.

Invest in your own pairs of B&W's/ Watch your local forums, there is always someone getting out with pairs to sell.
xroads

Return to Business