Shipping Box and Bag options

Shipping Box and Bag options

Postby birddog486 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm getting to the point where I need to start selling some of my Ocellaris but I'm not sure on the size of bag, box and heat pack combos. I'm guessing I'll be selling wholesale (but I haven't checked into this yet)so I'm guessing about 100 fish per box?

I'm also wondering if theres hoops I need to jump through with fed-ex so I can ship with them. There aren't many LFS around but the ones I've sold to only sell 5 clown per month and, I've been getting 250-500 into growout every couple weeks for the last coulpe months.

All help is appreciated.
Travis
birddog486

Re: Shipping Box and Bag options

Postby spawner » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Well you are in a cold area. Can you get good brand new coolers and boxes, do you have to reuse someones fish boxes?

FedEx has rules, just check on their website. It is pretty easy.

Trick will be getting a very late drop off, using good coolers and heat packs in the winter. Do some testing with a HOBO datalogger if your really worried about it. The real test is to pack your box as it would be shipped, leave it outside overnight and check the water temperature in the morning. Shipping fish is not that hard but takes some knowledge and preparation.

Fosters and Smith does the best job I have ever seen when it comes to shipping fish via Fedex. Order some fish from Kevin and you can get an education as to how to pack a shipment.

Andy
spawner

Postby jeff@zina.com » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Links you'll need:

kensfish.com
4fishstuff.com

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Postby birddog486 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks so far guys, I was looking at getting the shipping supplys from ULine as far as the insulated boxes and bags but I'm unsure of the correct sizes and didn't want to end up with 20 or so boxes or bags that aren't useable. I'm still looking for reasonable heat packs.
birddog486

Postby spawner » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Look up Florida Fish Farmers association, they have great shipping resources, a little from from you but they have a lot of what you'll need.
spawner

Postby jeff@zina.com » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:00 am

spawner wrote:Look up Florida Fish Farmers association, they have great shipping resources, a little from from you but they have a lot of what you'll need.

That's the 4fishstuff.com link I provided. :)

They have standard shipping boxes for tropical fish, proven for shipping world wide.

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Return to Business