Marketing Insight...

Marketing Insight...

Postby NeilUK » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:38 am

Can anyone help with a little insight in the market for clowns?

1/ Somewhere I saw a signature comment that stated something along the lines '25% of wild caught clowns die in transit'. Is anyone aware of any paper or report from a reliable source that provides backing to such a statement?

2/ With the UK market in mind. Does anyone know or can hazard a guess as to the split of how many wild caught compared to captive bred clowns there are. I assume this depends on the species too. I'm guessing that common ocellaris are predominently captive bred whereas say percs might be mostly wild caught.

Thanks

Neil
NeilUK

Re: Marketing Insight...

Postby mikegreen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 am

I suspect that TMC's market share in UK produces a very different pattern than elsewhere.
For years their "common clowns" and "percula clowns" seemed to be all that was available - and not very different in appearance(from each other - the difference between them and wild caught was very noticeable ).
About 2 years ago, or a bit longer their lines changed to "Tangerine clowns" which seem to be a brighter strain of ocellaris than their old "commons" and their new "Coral Sea Percs". These are brighter than the "percs" they used to sell, but FWIW, each batch that I've seen locally has had between half and three quarters of the fish with various amounts of brown in the eye - so I guess there's ocellaris blood in there to speed up the barring time. One's that have reached the LFS with extra black seem to lose it within days.

There are more wild caught about now, many of which seem to come in through TMC.

Are you "West Malling Reef" on Ultimatereef? I thought the survey on there of captive bred/ wild caught showed up some very strange views.
mikegreen

Postby NeilUK » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:31 am

Hi Mike

Yep thats me on UR and yes it generated a real variety of interesting responses!

One common theme in the replies was that many didn't perceive captive bred as a benefit - in fact some viewed it as a negative.

Mike, are you selling to LFS's? Maybe I can pick your brains a little more on the market over here!

Cheers

Neil
NeilUK

Postby timinnl2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Maybe you can check here. http://www.aquariumcouncil.org I just joined UR they seem to go off topic rather quickly. We are having the same problem here. People want cheap fish until they kill it 4 or 5 times before they want CB.

Kind Regards,

Tim
timinnl2

Postby mikegreen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:01 pm

I'm not at that stage yet - too many disasters.
The fact that TMC are biggest breeder AND biggest importer, with hundreds(?) of LFSs that get everything marine from them is going to be a problem.
Chaz is probably the best to advise - I think he sells all his fish to LFSs.
In your survey I was amazed how many glibly stated that captive breeding overheads are so much lower than imported wild caught!!
mikegreen

Postby Davedudeson » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:10 pm

i dont know if its of use but my two lfs have said they will buy them for a 1/3 of what they can sell them for
Davedudeson

Postby mikegreen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:36 pm

That sounds good, Dave.
Welcome to MOFIB - where in UK are you?
mikegreen

Postby Davedudeson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:18 pm

i am in Basingstoke in Hampshire

my lfs is maiden head aquatics (dummer)whos wholesaler is TMC and they mentioned the 1/3 of sale value, another maidenhead aquatics (newbury) said the same thing but they dont accept clownfish as they are easily and commonly bred.

i hagve asked as i wish to get into breeding but as i have very little money was making sure money retrun was possible
Davedudeson

Return to Business