Trial Run Hatchery

Re: Trial Run Hatchery

Postby Crooks » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:19 pm

More pics please
Crooks

Postby jeff@zina.com » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Scottt wrote:(The pic is a couple months old. Extra bracing has been installed below each horizontal runner. And we have 1.5 rows of grow out online.)

Oof! Who has to lift the boxes of IO to the top shelf...? :)

This is a big change from the original, you know you're going to need to do another entire build walk-through.

Thanks,

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Postby Scottt » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:09 am

Hmm, one day soon maybe? Busy Busy. There are some more pics here at my local club site:
http://cdmas.org/forums/index.php?topic=8507.0

I put the IO up there. Crazy kids. I had to move it too! That row is full of tanks now.
Scottt

Postby Scottt » Tue May 03, 2011 3:19 am

Anyone see this happen before?
Gold Striped Maroons.
Scottt

Postby chuggy » Tue May 03, 2011 10:45 am

wow never mine were eating theres for a while.
chuggy

Postby Scottt » Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am

Hi Chuggy,
Those nests are from the GSM pair I purchased from you this winter. Thank you!!
Scottt

Postby BaboonScience » Tue May 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Wow! Nice nest overlap.
I have a pair of Cinnamon Clowns that occasionally will lay a nest the day before the previous spawn hatches. Not consistently though.
Do they overlap spawns often?
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Scottt » Tue May 03, 2011 5:53 pm

This was the first time they overlapped. The pair is pretty new to me, so i will keep you updated. Neat on the Cinnamons :-) I had never seen it before.
Scottt

Postby Crooks » Tue May 03, 2011 10:45 pm

is that a coffee mug?
Crooks

Postby Scottt » Wed May 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Crooks wrote:is that a coffee mug?

Yes :-) I offered them two flower pots, and two coffee mugs in their 29gallon home. She chose a coffee mug :-)
Scottt

Postby BaboonScience » Wed May 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Ah!
There is the reason for the overactive production. Residual caffeine! :D
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Suzy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:58 am

What an amazing thread!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Scottt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:05 am

Thanks Suzy :-). Everything here is very much team work.

I just re-read the first sentence of this thread, from 2009 "This thread is to document a small scale hatchery. The idea is to form a model of a true scale hatchery. If it becomes monetarily prolific, the garage space will be turned into a 40pair fish farm."

Well, it isn't monetarily prolific yet, but we still turned it into a 40pair farm (48 to be exact). And we have a similar setup at our Kinderhook location (We didn't want all our eggs in one basket).

A little update:
We love Reed Mariculture Algae. We do about 25gallons of rotifer cultures, harvesting at least a million a day. We grow them with the Roti-Grow-Nanno, and Enrich them with N-rich PLPlus. We also use Roti-Green Omega in our larval tanks.

The livingroom, rather than the diningroom became our 'Quarantine Room'. We have 8 stand alone tanks on the rack on the left for incoming fishes. They stay there at least a month before making their way into the garage. There's Linda, the other half of Midnight Mariculture. Our website is http://www.midnightmariculture.com

Lastly is a picture from a month or two ago, of the racks filling up in the garage. We've added about another 500gallons of tanks since it was taken.
Scottt

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:44 am

I am going to show this to my wife and she will think i am normal again after seeing this
Looks great keep up the good work
Ben

Postby Suzy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:21 am

Me, too, but to my husband!

But, right now, I have 2 8 foot tanks in the garage waiting to be manhandled into the basement! He might not want to see this....

Scott, I am going to try the Reed Mariculture products but they are very expensive. Do you get a lot for $70 bucks?

Are you able to separate one tank of it need cleaning or gets a crack or something?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Scottt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks Ben! Glad I could help also :p

Suzy, they are expensive, I agree. But 1 Liter of the Roti-Grow-Nanno raises enough rotifers to grow a couple thousand clownfish through metamorphosis.
Each tank has its own bulkhead, and valved water supply. I did have one crack and replaced it with no issues. Cleaning gets done in place though.
Scottt

Postby Suzy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Are all the grow out tanks on one system? I set up a very much smaller similar system at our aquarium, and I keep wondering how many I can add without risking too much to a possible pathogen getting in one, and infecting all.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby chuenwe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:01 am

Amazing setup! Thanks for sharing!
chuenwe

Postby Scottt » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:02 am

MOFIB has a lot going on these days. I feel weird posting here, while not commenting on the turmoil. But I really don't like politics, I'll stick to fish breeding. Although, I do have to say, I don't like the way people are treated around here.

We do each row of grow out as 1 system. 12 20gal tanks, with a 55gal sump. I just listened to an ORA interview last night, their systems are all in the area of 5,000gallons. The trick to not having pathogens infect all is large UV units. But, we do like the separate systems for redundancy and safety in any event.
Scottt

Postby Suzy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:31 am

I know. It is getting hard to talk about fish....

I would love to see your system in person. It looks amazing. Do you spend a lot of money on your heating costs?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Scottt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:07 am

If you're ever in the area, we are more than happy to let you check it out.
As far as heating bills go. It cost around $30 a month to heat the garage in the dead of winter, which averages 32F in the day and 13F at night. With the first setup, it cost much more than that. Sealing the garage up really tight with new insulation, vapor barrier, taped and spackled sheetrock, and a wall in front of the garage door, really made a huge difference. It is almost perfectly sealed. Which leads to its own problems... but that is a different story. We got a natural gas hot-water heater on craigslist, and use it with home heating pumps (taco 007), ranco controllers, and coils of pex in each system. Natural gas is much much cheaper than electric.

The issue with sealing up a fish farm that well is CO2. We keep our air-pumps outside in order to pump nice clean air into all the tanks. We also vent the air pretty heavily. If we need to, we'll install a counter-flow heat exchanger this winter.
Scottt

Postby Suzy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:55 am

Do you heat the entire garage to 80+` or do the tanks also have heaters?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby jeff@zina.com » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:45 am

Scottt wrote:The trick to not having pathogens infect all is large UV units.

So are you running UV on all systems, just growout, or what? I currently don't run UV and have been considering whether it's something I need to look at.

Thanks,

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Postby Scottt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 pm

We just heat the water to 81F. But the room stays around 78F currently, unfortunately. I'd like it a little cooler.

We Run UV on everything. Some people don't. We do it as a precautionary measure. Kinda of like insurance.
Scottt

Postby Luis A M » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Scottt wrote:MOFIB has a lot going on these days. I feel weird posting here, while not commenting on the turmoil. But I really don't like politics, I'll stick to fish breeding. Although, I do have to say, I don't like the way people are treated around here.

I agree with you fully.The best thing we could do for MOFIB is to keep posting fish matters and try to keep far from politics.
This is a fish forum after all. :roll:
Luis
Luis A M

PreviousNext

Return to Business