HR 669 - Serious Threat?

HR 669 - Serious Threat?

Postby David M » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Re: HR 669 - Serious Threat?

Postby aquagrrl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:23 pm

Personally, I don't think it will pass. Every few years there is some sort of over-the-top legislation that gets exotic people riled up, and in the end, nothing comes of it. I suspect this will be the same.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Postby Robert_56 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:44 pm

These things often come up and go nowhere but sometimes they do. I live in BC Canada, and it was over a year ago someone was killed by a "pet" tiger. That led to new regulations on owning, importing, breeding, and selling many exotic pets. Over 2200 species have been placed on the list. Animals on this list are for the most part no longer aloud to be owned by BC residents. While many of the species on the list should not be owned by everyday people there many species on the list many of which are reptiles that are well within the range of every day people to care for.
Robert_56

Postby BaboonScience » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:39 am

In reality, don't non native species dominate the scenery in the USA (Cows and horses for instance).
The many native species are not legal to keep in the home aquarium as well.
If they are going to regulate non-native species on the basis of their potential as invasive, I believe that the clownfish would be pretty far down on the list in mid america. Provisions for regional potential would have made this legislation seem more serious.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby lance » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:09 am

BaboonScience wrote:In reality, don't non native species dominate the scenery in the USA (Cows and horses for instance).
The many native species are not legal to keep in the home aquarium as well.
If they are going to regulate non-native species on the basis of their potential as invasive, I believe that the clownfish would be pretty far down on the list in mid america. Provisions for regional potential would have made this legislation seem more serious.
John

well put baboonscience and if worse come's to worse I'll get cow's for pets :D I just dont wanna hear any complaints from the neighbor's. I hope cow's like the city
http://www.youtube.com/user/CoralMan24

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/lancelesko/

Always quarantine new arrival's before adding to breeding tank's or display
lance

Return to Business