What is everyone charging for their fish?

What is everyone charging for their fish?

Postby Fearlessmoto » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:11 pm

What is everyone charging for their fish to their wholesalers, or if you dont go through a wholesaler how much do you charge for a private customer, if you do not want to post the answer but wish to answer just pm me or email Fearlessmoto@Yahoo.com, dont worry I wont share! :wink:
always use the right tool for the job......A REALLY BIG HAMMER!!!!
Fearlessmoto

Re: What is everyone charging for their fish?

Postby Scottt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:43 am

Does anyone know how to set this up as a poll? It would be a little complex i guess, wholesale vs retail, and all the common species.
Scottt

Postby Waldend » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Perhaps an anonymous poll would be best. I am sure this is a touchy subject though. One thing I have read before that I agree with is the importance of "us" sticking together if you will. Not collusion or price fixing but just to make sure that our members are able to receive fair market value. I am not an economics guru but I believe that with ours being a cottage industry for the most part that price wars would be detrimental to us all. I have read other industry leaders that have discussed this but dont have any citations off the top of my head. If an anonymous poll isn't possible perhaps a director, officer, or even committee could take information submissions and break them down to provide an anonymous analysis. This would give the flexibility for people to include comments as far as age, size, market demand, local retail pricing, and other free form data.
To me this also goes hand-in-hand with the price surveys that are available for past years. I dont know what all committees are out there but maybe a "commerce" committee would be able to provide market and marine ornamental industry specific info to members. I am picturing something like a publication for members to read and gain insight to things that most of us may not have access to.

I just wanted to try and make recommendations on some things I think would be interesting. I do agree though with the philosophy that captive breeding and propagation wont really become what we all want it to be until its a profitable venture. The truth is that for all of us on here that are passionate about this, there are few, if any, that can continuously pour money into it. We need to be able to make some money to afford to explore the new areas.
Waldend

Postby BaboonScience » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Waldend
All ideas are good. Perhaps we could have a person that would receive the price listings candidly and produce High, Average and Low sale values for different fish and categories.

Some things that I have noticed:
There continue to be a growing number of LFS that would rather purchase from local growers (good news).
While some LFS realize that a quality local product is also saving on shipping cost and stress to the fish, many discount this.
There are still a considerable number of LFS that want to use the Store Credit offer rather than actually paying for the product.
Cooping with other local breeders can give a much larger selection for each breeder.
The profitability of the Clownfish market continues to go down, making the methods for routine production of other species even more important.
It would be a great idea to establish a list of who is producing salable quantities of all species as well as the price.

John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Fearlessmoto » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:28 pm

Its been a while since i posted this, but the idea is still in the air, i currently only have a couple of fish due to having to downsize (enlisted in the navy and 120 gallons is hard to move) but i am growing corals to make up for lack of fish, a 46 gallon tank holds my colonies, my sump has the same lighting as the main tank and 20 gallons holds a lot of 1 inch frags, each of these frags sells for about $12 to the store. this is mainly montipora species such as capricornis, this is the most pertinent way i can think of for displaying pricing info as it displays where i am, what i am selling, how much per unit and i can add how much per week or month or whatever for demand information.

EDIT: you can also calculate my capacity for production based on the description of my system (about 20 frags per month to 40 depending on growth rate for that month.
always use the right tool for the job......A REALLY BIG HAMMER!!!!
Fearlessmoto

Postby Almon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:52 pm

Fearlessmoto wrote:What is everyone charging for their fish to their wholesalers, or if you dont go through a wholesaler how much do you charge for a private customer, if you do not want to post the answer but wish to answer just pm me or email Fearlessmoto@Yahoo.com, dont worry I wont share! :wink:

I'll play. I'd like to know if you think I'm too low or too high. Anyone else want to play?

Clarkii
$6 to retailers
$10 to hobbyists

Orange Ocellaris
$6 to retailers
$10 to hobbyists

Black Ocellaris
$18 to retailers
$30 to hobbyists

If anybody knows a wholesaler that will take a one or two hundred, send me PM. Thanks
Almon
Almon

Postby NirvanaFan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:37 pm

I charge the same for orange ocellaris

$6 to retailers
$10 to hobbyists
NirvanaFan

Postby Waldend » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:01 pm

Almon,

Can you provide approximate prices that your retail customers are getting for the fish. I think that's important to know as well. Knowing the ratio will help members adjust for regional variations.
Waldend

Postby New York Breeder » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:23 pm

I don't sell to hobbyists.
stores pay between $6 and $9 for my ocellaris, hand delivered.
They sell for between $15 and $20 at the store I think.
New York Breeder

Postby Almon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:03 pm

The restailers sell:
Clarkii for $18-$20
Orange O's for $18-$20, although I recently saw a sale, 3 large ones for $100. That puzzled me...
Black O's go for $60
Almon
Almon

Postby r33fking » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:53 pm

a friend and business partner of mine is working with a fish and coral stock market website that will show trends in demand and cost geographically .
cool idea i thought .
i hope it will be up soon , ive mentioned to him that a captive cultured graph would be helpful in solving these kind of issues
*******FISH 'R' FRIENDS*******
r33fking

Return to Business