advice on a grow-out tank

advice on a grow-out tank

Postby Saltysteele » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 am

i've got a pair of carrying males, and a laying female bangaii cards. in the past, i've simply placed the babies in the fuge and let them grow out there. i even went through the trouble of using plastic crafters mesh to create a basket over the inlet to my skimmer pump, and a mesh wall around my return pump.

well, i just put in a new skimmer in my sump, and there is no more room for babies down there. i've got a 10g tank that i'd like to turn into a grow-out tank for my babies when they arrive (we're about a week or so into the cycle, with both males carrying).

i might actually get a tank divider, and put both males in the tank, but need to wait a bit until the eggs have hatched, as #1 male tends to spit when caught)

anyway, what would you suggest for a grow-tank? i'm going to look through the threads, but that might take me a bit. any info is appreciated.

do i need to run a skimmer? will a simple air-driven foam filter work?

things i will for sure be using: 10g tank; lr, ls and chaeto (not bending on these, my previous batches LOVED hunting pods, which made my life easier), and obviously, a heater.
Saltysteele

Re: advice on a grow-out tank

Postby sazmo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:45 am

I used a small 12" tank with lots of chaeto and a single bit of live rock. Small 50w heater and a tiny internal filter ( think it was 280 litres per hour.)
sazmo

Re: advice on a grow-out tank

Postby Saltysteele » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:47 pm

Great! Thank you!
Saltysteele

Return to Business