Alright, time to get my feet wet!!!

Alright, time to get my feet wet!!!

Postby theboy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:21 pm

So I have been lurking around several forums reading as much as I can for the past 3+ weeks. Learned ALOT. And in less than a week I'm relocating and my new house has a nice sized walk-in closet that is going to be perfect for a small start.
So here's what I've been thinking:
2 29gl used divided into 3 or 4 chambers with a common driller overflow (broodstock tanks)
3 27gl black tubs plumbed to common sump (growout)
+/- 5 10 gl aga plumbed to common sump (larval)
still unsure about the size of common sump
3-4 ft diy skimmer
uv
t5 no shop lighting
growout and broodstock tanks will have a thin layer of ls
larval tanks will be equipped with bubble foam filters
all returns to tanks will have a ball valve
possible refuge with mangroves

current broodstock plans:
Orange skunk (on hold)
perc tb (already have but still juvi may split and add with wc females)
false perc tb
b&w tb
maroons

Those are my starting broodstock, and plan to add more as things expand. Also have a male Green Dragonet, and suspected female Convict Goby. With all this said I plan on starting slow and small, then expand as much as possible.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.
Breeding facility in the works.
theboy

Postby Malachai » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:42 pm

Sounds like a good plan to start with but I would suggest a few things. First, skunk clowns seem to prefer larger tanks than percs or occys, b&w seem to like much warmer temperatures and maroons take the longest (on average) to get to spawn, so you might want to plan your system around those things.

I know everyone suggests wilkersons book but I really prefer the breeders guide, much wider species range and it is well organized.
Malachai

Postby theboy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:58 pm

I have plenty of time to wait for things to happen, and not expecting a clutch of eggs until minimum 6 months but more along the lines of 8-10 for a start. The Maroons and skunks would be in chambers around the 10-15 gl range. All of my tanks will be used from the numerous fish stores within 100 miles going out of business here in Houston. My main lfs can move about 20-30 percs a month, but the owner knows a lot of ppl in Texas looking for a locally based breeder/wholesaler which will be a big help once I get going on a large scale. My plans are to also hand deliver orders to the Houston area weekly, San Antonio, Austin, and DFW areas bi-weekly. I don't currently need to work but I do just so that I can have more money to burn in start up and expansion. If I could find a LOCAL breeder looking to sell an already breeding pair at a good price things would start quicker but not holding my breath.
theboy

Postby theboy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:04 am

ok heres an update. just picked up 3 29 gl tanks used for $20 each. plan to have to separate systems. 29 gl sumps. 29 gl growout tanks (possibly divided) 1 for each system. one system will have 3 drilled 10 gls each for skunks/gsm/clarkii. the other will have 3 drilled divided tanks for 6 pairs of percula/ocellaris. diy wetdry and dsb w/ mangroves for each system. and a mixture of 5 and 10 gl (drilled) larval tanks with foam filters. 5gl bucket cultures of phyto and roti.

With all this said i understand that i dont have a lot of growout space at all. once i get things going i have found really cheap warehouse space that i will expand into. and i know it may be a while before all my pairs spawn. i have my lfs ordering nakeds, snowflake(6month wait) , and picasso(1month wait) from ora. if any1 has any batches about to be ready hit me up and my lfs/i will be more than glad to move some for you.
theboy

Postby theboy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:17 am

Slight update. Just got my EIN!!!! And have my llc app will be submitted very soon!!!!!
theboy

Re: Alright, time to get my feet wet!!!

Postby ceriff » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:48 pm

theboy, am I understanding that you are wanting to breed and supply to the Texas area? How is your progress going?
ceriff

Return to Business