Setting up a new Breedery

Setting up a new Breedery

Postby Fearlessmoto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:32 am

Hi! :D ,
I have been keeping marine tanks for a few years and want to step up to aquaculturing for online and local sales. do you guys have any suggestions on the following....
1. overall setup, what size tanks, how many, what other equipment?
2. Species to start with that are easy and usually successful
3. Contacts, other areas I can find fish breeding information

thanks guys, I appreciate the help!
Fearlessmoto

Postby KathyL » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:31 am

Here are my suggestions:
1. Read, read, read! Joyce Wilkerson, Martin Moe, April Kirkendoll, are all good sources of information, as well as many of the authors of threads on this site. (Books can be purchased thru "Support MOFIB" link above, and help to support this site)

2. Have a question? The search feature on this site is a good first start, and you will get more information that way, than if you just start a new thread.

3. Still have a question? Ask on MOFIB. We are here to serve.

There are a million ways to do this hobby, and 2 million ways to start a business, and we cannot type them all here. In addition, you need to find your own way on many of the details, as someone else's design may not work for you and your unique circumstances.

It is always good to ask a specific question, like "What do you use to screen your overflows?" rather than general questions like "How to breed fish?"

Specific questions tend to get responses quickly, as they are answerable, and general questions tend to die off unanswered, as they are not answerable.:)

4. After doing a lot of reading, decide what you want to breed, and design your system to accomodate the animals' needs.

5. Then, see 2. and 3. above.

6. Then, start. :D

7. Let us know how it's going so we can learn from you!
KathyL

Thanks

Postby Fearlessmoto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks Kathy, I wanted to breed Ocellaris Clowns, and Yellow tail Damsels to start with. also thanks for the advice on using the MOFIB site i was kind of lost on how to proceed, but anything else anyone wants to add would be good, I noticed a couple others on the site the had the same questions and situation

Again Thanks! :D :D
Fearlessmoto

Postby hawgdawg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:27 pm

Make sure your pockets are deep. You will be surprised how much money it will take you to get set up.
hawgdawg

Re: Thanks

Postby Antony P.M. » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:33 pm

Fearlessmoto wrote:I wanted to breed..., and Yellow tail Damsels to start with.

Hi Fearlessmoto, Yellow tail Damsels aren't certainly a species to start with to say the least! Of 1200+ MOFIB members there is only one that as managed them and he is one of the very few in the whole world!
Damsels, with only a few exceptions, are among the toughest demersal spawners in MO breeding.
Ocellaris clowns are the best start when they eventually start spawning,
and Banggai cardinals would be a great addition since they even lack a pelagic phase and it's a species that needs to be CB.

BTW, welcome :)
Antony P.M.

Postby robvdv » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:46 pm

To add to Kathy's list, also read Hoff and Wittenrich.
robvdv

Setting up a new breedery

Postby Fearlessmoto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks for the tip on the YTD's I think Ill take the advice given and start with the clownfish, by the way any info on how difficult mandarin dragonettes are to breed?
Fearlessmoto

Postby aomont » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi and welcome Fearlessmoto,
They are harder then clowns and easier than small sngels :lol:

Take a look at Witt´s ( http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1963 ) and Matt´s ( http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=661 ) threads. ;)

Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby Fearlessmoto » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:34 pm

AOMONT

Great stuff thanks for the links, alot of great info, and really impressive pics i'm definately going and getting a pair of these now, will keep everyone posted to my progress!

always use the right tool for the job......A REALLY BIG HAMMER!!!!
Fearlessmoto

Postby Fearlessmoto » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 am

I got my first broodstock today, 3 tomato clowns, and 2 are showing pairing behaviors, i am going to remove the third to another tank shortly.
I will try to post photos.
always use the right tool for the job......A REALLY BIG HAMMER!!!!
Fearlessmoto

Return to Business