Chelsey's Broodstock System Build Log

Re: Chelsey's Broodstock System Build Log

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:02 am

I agree with Luis.
I use a single t-5 on each rack. That is 11 bulbs, the low watt types, not the HO. The fish do fine.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Chelsey » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:02 pm

All of my pairs that aren't in display tanks are now in my broodstock system. All is going well and it's time to add more fish but I need your opinion about which option to choose.

Option 1
I have found a source for another snowflake ocellaris that I would get and pair with a black ocellaris to see what happens (at least until I find another snowflake) and mess with the genetics of these two variants.

Option 2
I would like to tinker with breeding gobies and now that I have a bit of extra cash I can order some if I choose OR I can go with option 1. If I chose option two I would get the following:
-4 red headed gobies
-4 gold line neon gobies
I'm not sure on the numbers of fish to get. I want to be guaranteed a pair but I don't wantt o have extra fish hanging around either. Suggestions on fish #s would be appreciated :) I've read that the red-headed gobies are protogynous hermaphrodites and that neons are separate sexes but as I said previously I want to be guaranteed at least 1 pair of fish.
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
~750 gallon (and growing) broodstock system
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:58 pm

Here's the latest...I can't believe it's been so long since I updated things!

I have gotten a pair of red-headed gobies and also a pair of neon gobies. My broodstock system is full, all 6 compartments have clown pairs in them. There's currently an emperor angel in with my snowflake x black ocellaris pair because he was eating my reef. I chose option 1 when my snowflake pair that I already had started fighting. I was lucky enough to find a smaller snowflake and put it in with my favorite snowflake that I already had. The "offending female" was paired with a tiny black ocellaris. They aren't even a bonded pair yet, at least I wouldn't consider them bonded, but they're not bickering :) When the neon gobies are out of QT they'll be put in with my Rod's onyx pair since the largest of the two RO's is 1" and they won't be spawning for a while ;)

A LFS in the area had a pair of HUGE black ocellaris clowns in one of their large tanks that I've been trying to buy forever. This past Thursday I was stubborn enough to stay until I caught them, bought them, brought them home, and they're now in my broodstock system. I'm super thrilled about this because they're great looking clowns and I've been bugging the LFS employees to help me catch them for the better part of a year now. They're at least 3", probably pushing 4". Nobody has noticed any cleaning/spawning behavior but they're pretty to look at until they do start spawning :)

Yesterday I got a call from another LFS and they told me they received a spawning pair of ocellaris clowns from someone that was breaking down their tank. I had them on hold for me and went to see them today. The "pair" turned out to be a trio (???) and they're pretty big too, 3" or more. The lady stated that they lay eggs regularly but since she wasn't there to tell me which two were spawning when I went to pick them up I ended up with all three. As soon as I can figure out who is who I'll remove the sexless submissive fish. These orange ocellaris are some of the blackest orange o's I've seen...they look "dirty" to me. Are some orange o's just really dark? If they weren't ocellaris I'd hesitate to say that they were onyx...

So, my broodstock system is rounded out with the following:
-two pairs of orange ocellaris (one spawning one unproven) + singleton
-two pairs of black ocellaris (neither proven yet)
-Rod's onyx pair (1" is the largest) - neon goby pair will be added to this cubicle once they're out of QT
-snowflake x black ocellaris pair (unproven as well)

In other tanks in my house I have a snowflake pair and a picasso pair. The snowflakes are half-heartedly cleaning but I'm not holding my breath yet.

I'll see if I can get some pics of the "dirty" ocellaris but since they just got here today I don't want to scare them too much :)

Chelsey
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:30 pm

A small and unfortunate update. The male and singleton from the trio have died. They stopped eating and were breathing heavily for a couple of days before their death but I couldn't find any spots on them that would indicate velvet or any other disease. No other fish in the system have been sick recently. The large black ocellaris pair that I added a little less than a month ago are healthy as well. The female of the trio is still alive and doesn't show any sign of being sick but she's in QT just in case. I've bought a small misbarred orange ocellaris to pair with her and he's in QT as well. I know this wasn't the smartest move but orange o's are a dime a dozen and I'd like to get a jumpstart on the juvi changing to a male.

I still have no spawnings from any of my 8 pairs :(
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:27 pm

Latest update:

I accquired a pair of ocellaris from a friend of mine as a thank you for helping him move his tank across town (anybody else need their tanks moved? :) ). This pair was actively cleaning off a spot and they are VERY aggressive...have drawn blood on a few occassions. Hopefully they'll resume cleaning and it'd really be nice to get a spawn from SOMETHING...I don't really care what pair spawns as long as I get some eggs soon :) As you can tell patience is not a virtue that I possess :) ;)
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:52 pm

Another update:
I decided to take my laptop into the broodstock system room to work on some papers tonight while observing my fish. While I was in there I noticed that the larger black ocellaris pair is actively cleaning their tile "fortress" and they have been for about a week now. They're also chowing down more than usual. Hopefully I'll have some eggs soon but who knows.

After doing a little bit of research I decided to split the snowflake x black ocellaris pair. The black ocellaris is still quite small (1") and apparently the snowflake it's paired with is not a female after all. On a whim I decided to put the lonely female from the trio in with the snowflake to see if they were both female and no fighting ensued, just a little bit of wagging. Maybe if I'm lucky they'll pair off quickly. I know the female orange ocellaris has laid eggs before, hopefully it won't be too long before she does it again. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that my impatience doesn't bite me in the butt.
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:09 pm

Here's another update:
Still no spawning, I must not have the correct Barry White album playing. I have managed to pair up two tailspot blennies. They're still in QT and I haven't decided where I want to put them yet. The orange ocellaris female x snowflake pair that I attempted a month ago is getting along pretty well but no signs of spawning yet. They bicker at all but they don't sleep in the same spot either. The black ocellaris pair that has been actively cleaning for the past month still has not spawned.

A local reefer was tearing down his tank and had a spawning pair of 2 year old ocellaris clownfish that I snagged. These are the biggest clowns I've ever seen and are at least 4" I'd say. I brought them home on 8/1 and they've been in the broodstock system for about 2 weeks (were in QT prior to that). Hopefully they'll resume spawning soon, they sure do eat a lot!

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to induce spawning? The pairs get fed at least 2 times daily (flake once and frozen once), the water temperature is 80-81 and the photoperiod is 12 hours.
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:25 pm

WOO HOO!!!! I HAVE EGGS!!!

They're not from any of my pairs though :) I went to a LFS today and a pair that they have in their display tank laid their first clutch of eggs. They are due to hatch anytime now as the eyes have been silver for the last 2 days AND while I was siphoning them off the rock 3 hatched! There are only ~100 eggs or so, probably less but I'm bad at counting. They're currently in a run-of-the-mill fish store bag and are floating in my broodstock system since I had to scramble to get a rearing tank situated! I have everything set up and am currently waiting on the water to reach 80-81 degrees before I dump the bag of eggs into the makeshift kriesel container (aka soda bottle). Here's a pic of my setup:

Is the water green enough?

The eggs will be kept in suspension until they've hatched (probably as soon as it gets dark) but I wanted to have the rest of the tank ready. The only things that need to be added to the 10 gallon tank are rotifers and larvae :)

What is normal larval behavior? The three that hatched are hanging out in the bag and don't move unless I gently move the bag to aerate the eggs, then they kind of get spastic and jerk around for a second before laying on the bottom. I'm afraid they may have been damaged from the siphoning experience.

Here's a pic of the eggs in the bag:

Thanks for any help/advice! :)
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby cantagious » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 pm

GOOD LUCK WITH THE EGGS
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

GOING GREEN IS SAVING GREEN
cantagious

Postby cantagious » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 pm

GOOD LUCK WITH THE EGGS
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

cantagious

Postby Chelsey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:40 pm

What is normal larva behavior? I am worried that some of the larvae that have hatched thus far (maybe 10) are acting funny. They don't really do much swimming, just a lot of lying on the bottom and then occassionally they'll dart around for a split second then it's back to lying on the bottom (if I turn the pump off that's keeping the circulation going in the kriesel). There's one larvae that does some serious tailspins too, I don't think that's normal...
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:16 pm

I have eggs...laid by one of my own pairs!!!

This is their first attempt at raising eggs together, the female has spawned previously with a regular orange ocellaris male.
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby cantagious » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:52 am

How are the other babies doing going need some more strawberries
FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS I DO

TIME FOR CHANGE

cantagious

Postby Chelsey » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:09 am

The other babies didn't make it, there was some kind of buoyancy problem and all of them died. The snowflake male decided to have a midnight snack of caviar last night so I guess I'll be waiting for more fry again :(

Send me a PM on RC with how many SW's you want and I'll send you my paypal address again.
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:03 pm

The snowflake/orange ocellaris pair that I've dubed "Casper and Wendy" laid again on 10-15 and ate their eggs again.

2 new broodstock additions came today. I am planning on splitting these two up and pairing them with a large black ocellaris and a large orange ocellaris when they get big enough. The PVC elbow that is in the acclimation bucket with them measures 1" in diameter so they've got a few months of babying before they're ready to meet their future mates.

100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:57 pm

Fish: Marlin and Pearl (orange ocellaris)

Purchased: 8-1-09 from an individual as a mated pair

Paired: Bought as a pair

Notes: These guys were showing NO cleaning activity or general pair-like behavior up until the last week. This past week they've been hanging out in their tile fort more than normal but haven't been doing anything else. This evening, about 4ish, I came in to feed them and they were both actively cleaning the inside bottom of the flowerpot. They came up to feed and I saw that Pearl's ovipositor was showing but she doesn't look too fat. Well, came in to check on them again and they're laying eggs! This is an established spawning pair so hopefully they won't be eating this clutch and I'll have my first hatch! :) I'm pretty darn excited!

First Spawn: 11/4/09

100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:29 am

The nest was eaten this morning :( I posted a thread in the clownfish forum addressing my egg-eating problem. Please provide your input, I'm getting discouraged :(
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby Chelsey » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:08 am

"Marlin and Pearl" spawned again either last night or sometime today, I wasn't home to witness the event. The majority of the eggs have been eaten, there are a handful left.

I also got a new pair of onyx clowns today, here they are:

In the acclimation bucket:
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
Chelsey

Postby lance » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:45 am

congrats on the eggs and spawning

lance
http://www.youtube.com/user/CoralMan24

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/lancelesko/