Ornamental Aquaculture Business in Mexico?

Ornamental Aquaculture Business in Mexico?

Postby simple » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:04 pm

I know this is a really far off shot and probably wont happen within the next 5 or so years but just thought i would throw my idea out there.
Anyways, my grandfather owns several hundred acres of farm land in a part of Mexico called Veracruz, which is on the Gulf side. A small part of his land is actually located next to the ocean. My question is whether it would be possible to start a large business there mainly breeding ornamental fish as well as culturing coral. I figure i could pump water from the ocean through the tanks (after being filtered and sterilized) and that way cut down on a lot of costs.
Would it be possible to import fish bred in Mexico to the US or are there laws restricting this? and if it is possible would people buy fish not bred in the US?
I'm still in high school and plan on taking business in college so i have a lot to learn. Just figured i would throw my idea out there and see if you guys thought this could work out.
TIA
simple

Postby aquafarmer » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:21 pm

All I know is Mexico is a supporter of aquaculture and you can actually get government funding for it. At least that is how it is in Baja, so I imagine the mainland of Mexico is the same. I'm not sure how it works for non-residents or for an American to go down there and start up a business there either. I don't know how you'd go about starting this, but maybe look into their federal programs for aquaculture etc. to see if they have anything to offer.

LA wholesalers bring stuff in from Baja (abalone, snails and some fish I know for sure) I believe by truck right across the border, so I would think it's possible. There was a seahorse breeder (Hippocampus ingens) in Mexico that was shipping them, but I'm not sure if he is still doing it or not. I believe he had to fill out some paperwork, but no idea on the details there.

HTH a little.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. —Ferris Bueller
aquafarmer

Postby simple » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:28 pm

Thank you aquafarmer. Luckily i am a citizen of both Mexico and the United States, since i was born in Mexico, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I figure the best way to ship from Veracruz would be by plane since Veracruz isn't close to the the border, but even then a truck could work, it would just take longer.
So basically i wouldn't have any problem importing things from Mexico right? also, would i have to pay an import tax? and do you think a large breeder in Mexico would have any chance competing against the big companies like ORA and C-Quest?
Thanks.
simple

Postby Clownfish75 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi

I would imagine you would have a great advantage cost wise breeding fish in Mexico over the USA, labour costs would have to be lower.

You could setup a reciving point in the mainland USA, this would allow you to ship your fish through any customs then redistribute and maintain as much funds for yourself as possible.

Sounds like a good idea, just make sure you get somewhere safe i suppose, but i assume thats just Mexico city.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby simple » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:11 pm

Yea i figured i would ship out of Mexico City's Intl Airport (about 4 hours driving distance from Veracruz) which has flights to all the major cities in the U.S. I would probably set up the receiving point in either LA or Miami, or if not both (supply both east and west coast). I really think this could work, now i just have to graduate highschool, study business and possibly aquaculture, and then get the funding to set it up. :(
How much do you guys think it would cost to get it up and running not including the cost of land?
simple

Postby David M » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:07 pm

The breeder Christine refers to is Eliezer Zuniga, he has/ had a farm on the beach just north of Matzatlan. I never knew his dba and I don't know if he is still in business. I think I still have his e-mail address on my old computer. The permitting was the difficult part but may be more complicated for seahorses (cites) than other species.

The fish were raised in above ground pools right on the beach with shadecloth over them. Water was pumped from and returned to the sea.

There are some very old threads on seahorse.org showing photo's of the farm. I'd search his name, Matzatlan, H.ingens, etc... you might find them. Maybe Diane_B or some other oldtimer there knows more about him.
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby Greshamh » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:23 pm

One of the problems with shipping MO out of Mexico is in when you get your export permit you have to declare your customers then and after that you can't ship to anyone but them. There's plenty more hurdles and I would be more then happy to assist but at this time I don't see any real need to press any deeper as the laws change rapidly in Mexico. Every new governor in Baja, or new president spelled the change in our permit/export & collection laws. Such has been life for the last 30+ years of my partner dealing with the Mexican Government :(

I can put you in touch with other Mexican breeders. I've collected some contacts over the years. I'll have to dig them out though so it may take a week for four :lol:
Greshamh

Postby simple » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Well i have some really good news. I talked to my grandfather about my idea and he liked it so he says that whenever I'm ready he will give me the land that i need. :D
simple

Postby danch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:29 pm

There's a start! Good luck
roti-whatnow?
danch

Re: Ornamental Aquaculture Business in Mexico?

Postby simple » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:55 pm

hey you guys, i know i kind of disappeared on everyone, but im happy to let everyone know that i am now a freshman at Washington University in St. Louis, in the Olin Business school. Im getting a minor in spanish and hoping to major in Management and Operations and maybe Finance or International Business; still very much thinking of pursuing this business idea, so it seems im on the right track! :)
simple

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:33 pm

simple wrote:hey you guys, i know i kind of disappeared on everyone, but im happy to let everyone know that i am now a freshman at Washington University in St. Louis, in the Olin Business school. Im getting a minor in spanish and hoping to major in Management and Operations and maybe Finance or International Business; still very much thinking of pursuing this business idea, so it seems im on the right track! :)

Welcome back!
Good to hear that you are still interested in the idea.
Please keep us up to date.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby simple » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:47 am

Ok so dunno if people look at this or not but just another update. I have now legally inherited 4 hectares of land on the gulf of Mexico. I flew down this summer to look at it and I'm having a fence being built now. I'm still very interested in marine aquaculture and still studying business at wash u in st Louis. I am now planning on majoring in entrepreneurship and supply chain or operations management. What sort of costs would I be looking at to get this running? I know it's a vague question but it'll help me get started, Tia
simple

Postby Suzy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:51 pm

How exciting! I can't help with the costs, but I think it is great what you are thinking of doing.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Return to Business