Making your own enrichment oils?

Making your own enrichment oils?

Postby FuEl » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:57 pm

Came across this site.

http://www.artemia-international.com/de ... tentID=583

"How can I make my own fish oil emulsion?
Purchase cod liver or menhaden oil and find a source of lecithin (powdered or liquid). A 3-5% inclusion of lecithin to the fish oil is all you need. Add some water to the fish oil and lecithin and blend (kitchen blender) for around 30 seconds. Feed supplements, such as Naturose (astaxanthin), spirulina, or stabilized vitamin C, can be added to the emulsion as well. The fish oil emulsion can be stored in a refrigerator for several weeks."

I will be attempting to make my own enrichment as my Selco is about 3-4 years old. :lol: Anyone has any experience to share? Not worth it for me to order one big commercial bottle when I can't use it finish prior to it expiring. :oops: I was thinking of replacing the fish oil with krill oil, as krill is a crustacean and might have fatty acid profiles more similar to copepods. However the DHA/EPA ratio worries me although krill oil has far higher amounts of omega-3 fatty acids.
http://www.raysahelian.com/krilloil.html
http://www.krillbill.com/

Should I go for DHA/EPA ratio or should I go for higher amounts of omega-3? Any thoughts? :?
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby FuEl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 am

Due to the price of the krill oil, decided to skip it for now.

Came across some tuna oil at the pharmacy today. DHA/EPA ratio of 3.5:1 ! :twisted: Maybe I'll just mix this in my long expired Selco and see how it works out. Best is that I can use a capsule at a time, longer shelf life. :lol:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby harnsheng » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Is it the one u meant for artemia enrichments, or rotifer feeding?

The Univeristy im studying in now, we are mixing cod liver oil, multivitamins and yeast to make up a yellowish solution which can be stored in refrigerators. The ratio of those ingredients are based on the rotifer counts of each tank. It's easy to use, just pour the amount needed into the tank each day, twice.

as for artemia, we just simply add 10 to 20ml of that 'solution' into the artemia culture one hour before feeding.
harnsheng

Postby Luis A M » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:17 pm

Very interesting thread,adressing problems we all face! 8)
Let´s everybody contribute with their searchs/experiences.
Luis
Luis A M

Re: Making your own enrichment oils?

Postby ineeduaround » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:01 am

Hey how did this experiment go? Would like an update please :D
Also, have you tried it with krill oil yet? I've heard of many krill oil benefits to humans so I'm quite sure it'll be good for our pets too.
ineeduaround

Re:

Postby rayjay » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:50 am

harnsheng wrote:...as for artemia, we just simply add 10 to 20ml of that 'solution' into the artemia culture one hour before feeding.

Is this "solution" emulsified or does it naturally produce particulate matter upon mixing?
As I understand it, brine shrimp don't really pass water through them other than what wets the particles they eat, I can't see any advantage to doing this if it isn't in a particulate matter that they can capture with antennae to pass through their digestive tracts.
rayjay

State/Region: Ontario

Postby kellyme » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:41 am

Before, I always thought that fish oil is better than krill oil but there's this video I found, about the benefits of krill oil, that changed my mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj-ZnG3NoZY This video is very informative. Has anyone tried krill oil supplements? I guess I'll buy one soon.
kellyme

Postby joymilton » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:01 am

One of the benefits of Krill Oil over Fish Oil is that, Fish Oil has the tendency to oxidize very quickly when it is exposed to air but Krill oil is far more stable. Krill Doctor Professional, carries 2x times more Phospholipids & Omega-3 DHA and EPA, as compared to other Krill products available in market.
joymilton

Return to Business