The Good The Bad And The Ugly – A Reefkeeper’s Journal

Postby WDLV » Wed May 07, 2008 3:44 pm

You are correct on the identification. I think I registered it wrong on the breeders registry or I may have failed to register it at all. Perhaps I should look into it....
- Walt
WDLV

Postby WDLV » Wed May 07, 2008 8:05 pm

I started moving stuff over from the 30 breeder into a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. I also dug out some of the frags from the bowels of the 210 so it could get a little light.
- Walt
WDLV

Postby WDLV » Thu May 08, 2008 2:30 pm

So, I was thinking, I'll try breeding these damsels. I forget that I did used to breed fish as a kid. If you count guppies....
I am thinking of a method of raising the fry whereby they should be able to stay in the same tank as the parents and enjoy the same water parameters until they metamorphose and can be moved to a separate tank and without getting eaten....
I will have a floating platform suspended by rubberbands in the center of the tank to prevent it from tapping the sides of the tank. I can attach a plastic coffee filter or something to the bottom so the water gets exchanged but the larva and rotifers stay put. This way I don't have to face the rigors of having to worry about the water getting fouled in a tiny rearing tank. What do you guys think? Could it work?

Also, where is the best place to buy rotifers? I don't think any of my LFS carry them. I will need something hardy. Is roti rich a good food for raising the rots? I really don't feel like having my basement look like a mad scientist's lab any more than it already does.
- Walt
WDLV

Postby Luis A M » Thu May 08, 2008 3:21 pm

I did this in the beginnings,back in the 70´s.OMG I´m that old! :lol:
A transparent flowerpot with the bottom replaced by a 53 mic mesh and an airlift bringing water over the board.The whole thing floating in a styro ring.This is basically a downweller,a common tool in invertebrate larviculture.It didn´t work :roll:
But could be fine for less fastidious fry,like banggais or seahorses,perhaps some clown larvae.Damsels are very difficult.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby WDLV » Thu May 08, 2008 3:48 pm

So now I'm a little confused.... Clowns are damselfishes. Why would a typical Damsel be harder than a clown? Or do you mean to say a clown as in false percul or percula?
- Walt
WDLV

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Thu May 08, 2008 4:05 pm

WDLV wrote:So now I'm a little confused.... Clowns are damselfishes. Why would a typical Damsel be harder than a clown? Or do you mean to say a clown as in false percul or percula?

Generally speaking,damsels are all pomacentrids other than clowns.
Clowns are easy to raise because (unlike damsels) they hatch very large and have a very short larval phase.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby WDLV » Thu May 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Ooooh. OK. I guess if I can raise these guys, I'm ready for clowns....
- Walt
WDLV

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Thu May 08, 2008 5:30 pm

WDLV wrote:Ooooh. OK. I guess if I can raise these guys, I'm ready for clowns....

And for most everything! :lol:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby WDLV » Sun May 11, 2008 7:41 am

I found some Stychodactyla latexicas at Walgreens yesterday. At $9.99 a piece, I couldn't pass up the chance to try them out.
I've been looking for an anemone that could handle nitrate, ammonia, pH and copper. The ones in the LFS are $15.00 for a 3" version. I DON'T THINK SO!!! So, I decided to give it a whirl. These were sold under the heading "Ginormous Googly Ball." Obviously they didn't know what they had.
Here's what they looked like when I brought them home from the store.

I couldn't believe it, they divided before i could even get them into quarrantine to get rid of any paracites they might have picked up at the LFS.

It only took like two minutes to get them to attached to a rock. Somehow I don't think they'll wander much.

Hopefully they are not a toxic species. I picked a sacrificial lamb to try them out.
I'll have to let you know how that goes....
- Walt
WDLV

Re:

Postby aomont » Sun May 11, 2008 7:52 pm

WDLV wrote:I'll have to let you know how that goes....

You bet !!! I wonder what zooxanthelae gives that solid color. :roll: :lol:
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby WDLV » Thu May 15, 2008 6:45 pm

The first to adopt one is A. sandaracinos.
I'M STOKED!!!

Image Image
- Walt
WDLV

Postby KathyL » Thu May 15, 2008 7:20 pm

Very cute!
KathyL

Postby aomont » Thu May 15, 2008 10:54 pm

My wife keeps telling me I must have anemones with the clown pairs when they are in. I try to explain her why I would keep one on the BS system...
Now she says she don´t care at all to what I say ! I MUST have anemones no matter if they are the real or rubber ones. ;)
Very nice !!!
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby mikegreen » Fri May 16, 2008 1:37 am

Any sign of them inducing melanism yet?
mikegreen

Postby WDLV » Fri May 16, 2008 4:59 am

Nope. No melanism. :)

I'm just glad one of them decided to host. I was beginning to think it was a waste of time.
- Walt
WDLV

Postby WDLV » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:28 am

I've finally got the inhabitants out of the 210 gallon. The temporary stock tank system is set up. I must admit, I do like the way this is working out. It allows a lot of room for one pair of clowns, coral brood stock and it's VERY energy efficient. I only need one MH to run 100 gallons of water and a single maxijet 1200 is all that is needed for ample circulation. Not to mention I can run probably ten tanks off one return pump. I may leave it like this for the remainder of my stay in this house. I will be adding a few more stock tanks though.
My leucs are in the first tank with a hippo tang.
I'm keeping a latz/polymnus pair and a thiellei/ocellaris pair in the second.
and a percula pair and a nigripes pair in the third. There's also a clown tang and a copperband butterfly in this one.

I think this setup will do very well for my clowns and corals. I'll probably try to keep a CBB and some sort of tang in each tank to help keep algae and aptasia at bay.
- Walt
WDLV

Postby WDLV » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 pm

Wow. It's been a while since I updated. Since the last update I have probably lost a couple and obtained a couple fish. But little has really changed.
I have taken down the rack system I had in favor of 10 gallons run with their own separate filtration systems. This seems like the way to go for me. I'm looking for effective, cheap ways to filter my 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks. So, if anyone has any bright ideas, throw 'em at me.
Otherwise here's a few pics.
This is currently home to a pair of nigripes and a pair of perculas oh and a copper band butterfly and a clown tang.
Thin-Bar Frenatus
Gasters in 10 gallon.
New home for the gasters.
5 leucs, one thiellei one ocellaris and one sandaracinos live in here. There's also a red mandarin goby and a hippo tang.
This latezonatus/polymnus pair share the tank with my spawning damsels.
Last edited by WDLV on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Walt
WDLV

Postby DThom » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:14 pm

were those latz's in the picture? How are they doing?
DThom

Postby WDLV » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:25 pm

One latz and one polymnus. They are doing well. The latz is the only one of five left that I got last year.
Three latz died of disease over the course of a year and one jumped. All my tanks are now covered as a result of that loss. If I knew then what I know now, I would have put each pair in a large reef tank rather than a small, sterile tank. The three that died of disease all died in "sterile" style systems.

OH, BTW I am still not using any filtration other than biological. I just did my first water changes in about 6 months last week. Yes there is gelbstoff and yes everything (including SPS corals) are thriving.
- Walt
WDLV

Postby WDLV » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:33 pm

I guess you could say I have some good news to report. My 13 year old ocellaris female and thiellei are paired up. I had noticed that they were reasonably friendly but could not see where they slept at night. Well I drained and reconfigured one of the tanks yesterday and made them the permanent residents of this system. Tonight I found them sleeping together. I have a small clarkii inhabiting a RBTA in the same tank. I'm hoping that they will catch on that it's a good place to live and kick him out.
- Walt
WDLV

Postby WDLV » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:37 pm

The newest 'gasters....

That makes six. ;)
- Walt
WDLV

Postby leanne » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:01 am

Could you not doing water changes for 6 months have something to do with your disease outbreak? Just a thought...
leanne

Re:

Postby WDLV » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:19 am

leanne wrote:Could you not doing water changes for 6 months have something to do with your disease outbreak? Just a thought...

Did I say that somewhere??? I've gone skimmerless on a system for six months to a year.... but I got sick of doing water changes every week.

I would only ever go a long duration without a water change on a reef system that could process the bioload. The "sterile" rack system was given a 20-50% water change every week or two when this happened. Even on the stock tank system, I've done a 30-50% water change just by expanding. Realistically, I think the longest time I've ever gone without a water change on any system was about three months right after my son was born and it may have been more like two.

The first disease outbreak I had started when I added fish without any sort of quarrantine whatsoever. In the first one I lost not only the sebae, polymnus, nigripes pair and the chromis I bought from that retailer that day but I lost my pair of chrysopterus, an ocellaris, sebae/polymnus hybrids (probably something else I'm forgetting) and darn near lost my leucokranos pair.
I believe the second outbreak (which started this thread) was caused by stress from the "sterile" environment and probably too short of a quarrantine period on new additions and/or ineffective quarrantine measures.

It all sort of mixes together in my mind, but the lessons remain.
- Walt
WDLV

Postby Luis A M » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:44 pm

Walt,what is the water managements of those (100gal?) rubbermaids?Are they interconnected in a system?.
Can fish go under the coral supporting rack?And how do you siphon the bottom?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:50 pm

Walt,what is the water managements of those (100gal?) rubbermaids?Are they interconnected in a system?.
Can fish go under the coral supporting rack?And how do you siphon the bottom?
Luis
Luis A M

PreviousNext

Return to Business