FROM YELLOW TANG - can clownfish breeding offer good gain

Postby KathyL » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:56 am

This from member Yellow Tang:

can clownfish breeding offer good financial gain
KathyL

Postby David M » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:56 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't... stop... laughing...
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby KathyL » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:02 pm

Well, David, THAT'S helpful. :? :D

Dear gentle Tang,
It all depends on what you mean by financial gain. Do you want to cover your costs? Perhaps you can if you have some measure of success right away. Do you want to live on the proceeds? Very few have done so. More businesses have failed than succeeded, but that is true of every type of business. My business, for instance, covers costs and makes a profit, but not enough to live on. My business is small.

Tell us what you want to do, and then we can give our opinions as to whether it will make money or not.
KathyL

Postby Zythum » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi,

I was wondering the same question. I have a 33G reef running ready to be transfered in my 135G. I have a lot of space in my fishroom and spare time. I have ordered the two following books to get more knowledge on the matter:

- The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes
- Clownfishes by Wilkerson

I would like to breed different kind of fishes, and see if I could eventually live from this hobby. So far, I am considering the following kind of fishes for my breeders tank:

- Ocellaris clownfish
- Percula clownfish
- Blue neon goby
- Gold neon goby

And I wanna try my shot at these since I will have the couples in my 135G reef (with 1 powder blue tang?):
- Maroon clownfish
- Royal Gramma Basslet
- Bangai cardinal
- Green clown goby
- Mandarin

I would use 4 breeder's tank (5.5G or 10G, not sure yet) and 8 grow-out tanks of 20G each. These 2 system would run separately each with a sump, wet-dry, skimmer, phosphate reactor and UV.

From what I understand, I can pack fishes under 1 inch in grow-out to around 10 per gallon, so my system would allow me to have around 1600 fishes maximum

My market would be the stores around Montreal, Canada. Because of the customs and very cold temperature, I think we get many losses from wild capture. I would perform most the deliveries since many stores are less than 30 minutes driving from my place.

My main tank is running on a programmable logic controller, I automate most of the maintenance tasks. I plan on doing the same with my breeding and grow-out system.

If this system is successful, then I could think of growing.

Anyone has suggestions or good information to help me out?

Thank you
Zythum

Postby danch » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Go here http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/support.php and buy Witt's book (the first one in the list of books) It discusses most of the species you're talking about (or a close relative) in some detail. It also talks about rearing tanks abit. There's also a lot to be learned on this forum already - There are a number of breeder's log threads that you can start learning on.
roti-whatnow?
danch

Postby mpedersen » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:34 pm

Zythum, that honestly sounds like a great system. The only thing I see missing are tanks / space for larval rearing. "Grow Out" is typically once you have the fish settled out and just need to put the size on, but larval rearing is the tricky one; thankfully most all of the fish you chose are doable and of course, the Mandarins are the really tough one but a few have been done (longest I ever got was 10-14 days, still trying).

I also didn't see anything in your setup regarding Phytoplankton, Rotifer and Brine Shrimp culture...all things to consider.

I might also suggest at least considering some "green" techniques for pollution control, especially on grow out. Perhaps denitrification and algae scrubbing to lessen the amount of water you have to go through? It's at least worth a cost-benefit analysis!

BTW, WELCOME TO MOFIB!

Also, sorry to hijack the thread. I can only add that since inception of breeding, I've probably taken in around $1000 on Onyx Percs and $400 on the Greenbanded Gobies. I think I have spent more than that on ONE TANK and it's inhabitants! You can definitely create INCOME from breeding fish, but doing it profitably is another thing, and making your living from it is yet another level of difficulty.

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Zythum » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:12 pm

Hi,

Thank you, I should receive the mentioned book tomorrow, I ordered it yesterday. I readt hundreds of posts on this forum (I am currently looking for a job so I have more spare time than usual). I guess my first step would be to setup my breeding system and slowly populate it.

Thanks
Zythum

Postby yellow tang » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:01 am

well im 16 and i just want to earn some pocket money(not just doing it for money, i was just wondering)
yellow tang

Re:

Postby William » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:50 am

yellow tang wrote:well im 16 and i just want to earn some pocket money(not just doing it for money, i was just wondering)

Honestly 16 seems like a bad time to start if your motivation in cash.

Not sure what your plans are for the future are, but most people move out of their parents house at 17 or 18, either to go to university or just to start their life. It usually takes around 2 years before you could hope to make a return on your investment. Just when you'd get going you'd likely have to tear it down when your parents kick you out of their house...

Don't let me stop you from trying, but just take a good look at where you are going to be 2 years down the road.

Now if your just trying to gain experience, so that perhaps one day down the road you could make a bit of profit, now's the perfect time to start.
Last edited by William on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will
William

Postby KathyL » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:55 am

Ah, so pocket money...unfortunately, there is an initial investment. You will need to grow rotifers to feed the newly hatched larvea, and you will need to buy some equipment. Check out Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfishes. You can probably find it in the local library. She pretty much spells it out.

I started as a hobbyist and invested a couple thousand dollars( I managed to do it very cheaply) before I recouped my costs and started to have a profit. I have heard from some folks here that I am unusually productive. Perhaps just lucky. Maybe being a professional biologist has some small part in it, although my field of expertise is quite distant from aquaculture.

Hope this helps
K
KathyL

Postby The Ediaz » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:22 pm

"can clownfish breeding offer good financial gain"

NO
The Ediaz

Postby Bertrand » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:31 pm

Hello,

That´s certainly hard to hard to tell...while some basics in hydraulics, bilogy, electrics and economics makes you to land on realities, your abilities to run a farm on a day to day basis will be your best advisor...

However, I am convinced it is acheivable ....
Bertrand

Postby Colby » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:35 pm

It can be done...and I think if it is done correctly it can be very profitable...

It is what I intend to do... :lol:

Colby
Colby

Postby Kmiec123 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:31 pm

O' to be young and full of dreams....:) Jk Cobly, the american dream can be fulfiled in any county if you work hard enough for your goals and have a sustainable love and passion for that which you are doing.
Carl
Kmiec123

Postby KathyL » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:27 pm

He just wants spending money, not the American Dream, plus he's in Australia....
KathyL

Postby Spracklcat » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:40 pm

FWIW some inspiration: Anthony Calfo started as a 16 year old breeding discus in a garage...which turned into a fishroom..which turned into an extension on the house...which turned into a greenhouse.

It takes tons of work, patience, diligence, and a bit of cash to start. For me I think there is more money to be had doing other kinds of aquaculture, but perhaps that will change in time.

Good luck :)
Spracklcat

Postby Morgman » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:36 pm

Just start smaller and see how that goes. With such a huge investment it will take much longer to pay off all of your capital. Think small and maximize you space. Keep your staff minimal(if any) and you may do okay. Look at JoeL. He is not running a greenhouse and he is doing pretty well. Oh don't forget the disease factor :(

Oh and of course ORA went under and is only alive because of Harbor Branch bailed them out.

I am not trying to rain on your parade just look at the past for some advice.
Morgman

Postby yellow tang » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:12 pm

im still unsure whether to breed clownfish or not. but if i do ive estimated the system to cost around $300-350 and it will probably take about a year to get my money back depending on well they grow.
yellow tang

Postby Colby » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:25 pm

Hey,

I am only 19 and I started doing all this stuff when I was 10 (I raised my first batch of Hippocampus Erectus when I was 11.5)...so I say GO FOR IT!!

I think if you choose a good pair, leave em alone and let them spawn you could make some good money...if you can convince your parents to let you set up 5 or 6 ten gallon tanks you should be good to go...

In that size setup you could raise 100 or so clowns a month and if you go with A. Ocellaris, that could work out well for you...when I was 16 (and even now... :lol: ) a few hundred bucks a month is a lot...

Also I can tell you BREED EVERYTHING YOU CAN!!! I am in college now and my experience has helped me exponentially...to the point that it is going to provide me with free housing and food!!

Keep in mind it can be frustrating, but stick with it and you cannot go wrong!!

Colby
Colby

Postby Clownfish75 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:42 pm

Hi

I surpose you could make osme pocket money out of breeding fish, It is hard to make a good income out of this and im still trying.

I would be interestedin buying ocellaris from you about 1-2 months old, as many as you can breed.

They have to be in good condition and nice shape, but with ocellaris thats not to hard.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby yellow tang » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:55 am

if im going to do this i will have a standard 2.5ft with a divider in the middle so i could have 2 pairs then a 15-20lt rearing and i havent thought about larger for growout because my mum would flip out(i think she will let me do it if she knows i can make money from it)..
as i said before, im still unsure of whether to do it or not but i think i will end up doing it
yellow tang

Postby chris melb » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:12 am

Yellow tang, from what i have seen in your posts, your excitement and remarkably quick response to any comments/feedback i have made i think you are wanting to do it more for just the pocket money. I think its worthwhile giving it a shot for your own personal satisfaction.

As for the financial side, for me ive spent a couple thousand on a fishroom setup, been reading everything there is, spend everyday of the week maintaing my setup, been setup ready to raise clown fry for a year now, still no spawn, i originally thought it would be good to do this to simply pay for the hobby itself. I have not made a cent yet, but realised thats not the reason im doing it, the first day i see a healthy little clownfish successfully make it to juv stage, and know that i was able to raise this little guy from a little egg (hopefully his brothers will all survive too) to me thats worth millions and every dollar spent for me will be all worth it.
chris melb

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:32 am

yellow tang wrote:if im going to do this i will have a standard 2.5ft with a divider in the middle so i could have 2 pairs then a 15-20lt rearing and i havent thought about larger for growout because my mum would flip out(i think she will let me do it if she knows i can make money from it)..
as i said before, im still unsure of whether to do it or not but i think i will end up doing it

Ya know, if your parents are the type that accept well thought out logicial arguments...prepare a business plan! I'm sure folks here would be happy to look over any such plan!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Aquanut » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:21 pm

KathyL, How many clowns do you sell a month in St. Louis? In addition to that number, how many do you sell out of town/state in a month? You seem to be one of the "larger" home business breeders, just wondering how many fish you sell.
Aquanut

Postby KathyL » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:31 pm

No I am very small. I have 10 tanks to grow fish in, and one really good broodstock pair and one mediocre pair.

I sell about 150 per month to stores in St. Louis, and about 300 a month to Michigan.

sometimes less depending on the season.

This may come to an end if my one good pair becomes less good....
KathyL

Next

Return to Business