Required permits for breeding business

Required permits for breeding business

Postby downbydasea » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:05 am

Ok was recently visiting a LFS to try and see what the chances were to sale to them, the manager basically danced around say yes or no, however he was willing to trade store credit as they do for other local breeders but he also mentioned something about have a specific permit from the state ( Texas is where I am) to actually buy from a breeder.
So my question is does anyone know of any specific permits required by local government to breeder marine critters?
Or where would you even check with your state, maybe agriculture dept.?
Anyway any advise or suggestion are much appreciated.
Thanks
James
When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.
Chinese Proverb
downbydasea
MOFIB Member

Re: Required permits for breeding business

Postby Jjay88 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:44 am

I have also been researching what is needed to buy/sell as a business, you best bet is to get on you local government site and start looking, I'm sure every area is different.
Jjay88

Postby spawner » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:24 pm

spawner

Postby downbydasea » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Ask and you shall receive...Thank you Spawner.
When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.
Chinese Proverb
downbydasea
MOFIB Member

Postby spawner » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:46 pm

No problem. Took about 20 seconds. Just have to know the correct search terms for Google.
spawner

Postby aquagrrl » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm curious based on the application if it is for the hobby breeder or not. I couldn't find anything that clarified it or not. The way it's written it looks like it's meant for large scale operations. It might be worthwhile to check out fish clubs in your area (both fresh and saltwater) to find out if they have any experience with the rules around breeding and selling in texas. Texas doesn't strike me as a very restrictive state, so I would find it odd that a hobbyist or micro business would need permits.

As for the fish store manager, I wonder if he dodged around the issues because a) they love giving credit, because it's a lot less money than it actually seems, since they're selling back to you at retail prices. But it might also be just that they haven't seen the quality of your animals yet, and don't want to commit to buying something that turns out to be scrawny and not worth their money. I've heard from a few breeders that their best sales pitch included bringing fish with them on a slow day to show the manager the quality of fish. It is also probably a good idea to get a feel for the prices fish stores pay to acquire their fish; so if they low ball you, you have some idea to back it up.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Postby spawner » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:54 pm

True, but I can say that generally Agriculture or Aquaculture departments in many states are great to work with, they are around to help, thus they make things much easier. Florida is a great example of this. Rhode Island, not so much, but they did permit an operation up here finally. The difference is that in states with clear application process there are often folks around to help. They will likely require the permit not matter how small your operation is. But because your 100% recirculating, you will not have any problems getting a letter exempting you from discharge permits. One still needs a business license and such. Likely aquaculture departments would welcome ornamental producers in their states, they are low impact and they add stakeholders to their system. At some point I'd expect every single state in the US to require folks growing and selling fish/corals and the like to have a permit and report their production.
spawner

Return to Business