Flying fish (shipping fish via Fed Ex / FEDEX)

Flying fish (shipping fish via Fed Ex / FEDEX)

Postby KathyL » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:32 am

I just sent some fish FEDEX this evening and an unusual thing happened. The woman behind the counter asked if I had a waiver to ship live fish. I've been shipping them every other week for a couple of months now, and no one ever asked me for a waiver. She let me ship them, but I have to have a waiver next time....Does anyone know anything about this?
KathyL

Postby mpedersen » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:02 am

I have not heard of this, nor have I seen any waivers come with any fish shipped to me! I can relate a similar tale from the days when I shipped live orchids (I had to have a nusery certificate to ship live plants into California, Arizona, and Alaska among others) - I actually only found out about this when a couple shipments to California were stopped by the California Dept. of Ag.

I wonder if this isn't the same type of thing, where you're shipping to a particular state that requires something more??

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby William » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:08 am

Here is my experience with fedex.

I called them asking if you can ship live fish and 9 out of 10 times they will say that official FedEX policy does not permit FedEX to ship live fish.

That tenth time I got this:

Yea, we will let you ship fish, but only if you let us torture test a sample box to make sure that you are packaging to our satisfaction and if you sign a waver saying that under no circumstances will you file a claim against FedEX. ie the package never arrives or arrives 3 weeks later even though you payed for early AM next day delivery you are SOL and fedex takes no responsibility.

Here is their official policy.
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/ ... iveanimals
Live Animals and Ornamental Marine Life (Including Live Fish)

FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Live Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).

If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:

Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).
The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions.

Contact your FedEx account executive for details and additional requirements.
Last edited by William on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will
William

Postby mpedersen » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:00 pm

Then how does EVERY online etailer ship me fish via Fed Ex?!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Re:

Postby William » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:10 pm

acroporas wrote:
That tenth time I got this:

Yea, we will let you ship fish, but only if you let us torture test a sample box to make sure that you are packaging to our satisfaction and if you sign a waver saying that under no circumstances will you file a claim against FedEX. ie the package never arrives or arrives 3 weeks later even though you payed for early AM next day delivery you are SOL and fedex takes no responsibility.

After passing the inspection I was then free to send all the fish I wanted (to any address, not just to buisness as in their official policy). The first package took nearly a month to get aproval. But after that, all I have to do is call FedEX to schedule a pickup. 10 minutes later there will be a FedEX truck outside to pick up the package no questions asked. And if you send enough packages you get up to 50% of the standard overnight rate.
Will
William

Postby mpedersen » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:42 pm

Ah, that makes sense I suppose...really no different than when I had to pass a greenhouse inspection and then could ship to all the "restrictive" states (just had to put a printout copy of my greenhouse cert on the outside of every package).

Kathy, hope you don't mind my editorial embelishment of the topic's subject line...thought it might be helpful down the road.

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:05 pm

Not at all, my friend.
KathyL

Postby shred5 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:38 pm

I asked this in another thread but how do people get around this no shipping live fish? Do you just say it is something else.

Kathy I have read in a few post where you have shipped fish. What do you tell them?

Thanks

Dave
shred5

Postby BrianPlankis » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:06 pm

At first FedEx would not let me ship anything, despite repeated attempts to get a straight answer out of them.

After I received my aquaculture permit they said no problem and if I deal with a FedEx driver or FedEx store then I don't have problems.

But we have a local "postoffice plus" or a similarly named store and the guy there refuses to ship anything live via FedEx.

I rarely use FedEx, but when I do I call for pickup now.

Brian
BrianPlankis

Re:

Postby shred5 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:41 pm

BrianPlankis wrote:At first FedEx would not let me ship anything, despite repeated attempts to get a straight answer out of them.

After I received my aquaculture permit they said no problem and if I deal with a FedEx driver or FedEx store then I don't have problems.

But we have a local "postoffice plus" or a similarly named store and the guy there refuses to ship anything live via FedEx.

I rarely use FedEx, but when I do I call for pickup now.

Brian

aquaculture permit what is that?

I see so many people shipping fish or coral and esp on ebay. If you just want to ship a few fish how do all these get around the no live animal policy?

Dave
shred5

Re:

Postby KathyL » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:36 pm

shred5 wrote:I asked this in another thread but how do people get around this no shipping live fish? Do you just say it is something else.

Kathy I have read in a few post where you have shipped fish. What do you tell them?

Thanks

Dave

I pasted stickers all over the box "Live Tropical Fish". In some cases, I used boxes that had been previously used to ship fish to the LFS. Instructions to keep the temperature in range and this side up and pictures of fish and "Live Fish" words all over the boxes. No questions were asked until this last time.
KathyL

Re:

Postby shred5 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:49 pm

KathyL wrote:
shred5 wrote:I asked this in another thread but how do people get around this no shipping live fish? Do you just say it is something else.

Thanks

Dave

I pasted stickers all over the box "Live Tropical Fish". In some cases, I used boxes that had been previously used to ship fish to the LFS. Instructions to keep the temperature in range and this side up and pictures of fish and "Live Fish" words all over the boxes. No questions were asked until this last time.

They never asked what is in the box weird. Every time I ship something USPS, fed ex or ups they ask me what in the box and at a minimum is it parashible. I must look shady or something... LOL

Do you fill out you own shipping labels and just drop them off, I always have them fill them out and I would bet that is why?

thanks for the info..

Dave
shred5

Re:

Postby BrianPlankis » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:54 pm

shred5 wrote:aquaculture permit what is that?

Dave

An aquaculture permit allows you to legally raise and sell aquacultured livestock in your state and across state lines (in most cases).

TECHNICALLY if you own a breeding business and are deducting your breeding costs from said business then you should have an aquaculture permit, at least in Texas.

The reality is that most people in Texas do not and the state doesn't have the manpower to enforce it anyway. I just chose to follow everything by the book.

If you are simply breeding fish or inverts here or there and selling to other individuals as a hobby, no permit is required. But even this varies by state.

Brian
BrianPlankis

Postby KathyL » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Being landlocked, at least as far as saltwater is concerned (we do have the Mississippi), I am betting that Missouri doesn't care if I do aquaculture, and doesn't require a permit. In any case I am keeping my head low, a "don't ask, don't tell" position....I have a state business license, and that's it.
KathyL

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:18 am

KathyL wrote:Being landlocked, at least as far as saltwater is concerned (we do have the Mississippi), I am betting that Missouri doesn't care if I do aquaculture, and doesn't require a permit. In any case I am keeping my head low, a "don't ask, don't tell" position....I have a state business license, and that's it.

Fly below the radar while you can. Here in IL there's that threshold where the USDA has to come and start inspecting your facilities, even if it's just home-based business.
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby The Ediaz » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:15 pm

Just use a styro box with fish signs or not, maybe a "this way up" might help it does not matter they are gonna abuse it anyway , the fish will be ok, sign the waiver and you will be fine I have shipped with them since 1996 and no problems whatsoever they were always on time.

they have funny rules but if you talk them into it they yield most times, i shipped a manatee once :D

E
The Ediaz

Postby GrowDammit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:07 am

For what it is worth . . .
We've been shipping corals and fish for nearly 4 years now. We started out with Fedex and have been using UPS exclusively since late 2004, early 2005.
I have a UPS driver who stops at my home every business day, for pick-ups. I've had UPS sales reps in my home and watch me pack an order, inspect my packaging, practices, etc.
No one has every mentioned a permit/waiver, etc.
I have not shipped any fish in the last 2 years, but that was due to re-organization.

This is how we label our boxes: We use "Perishable Labels" and "This End Up" Arrow Labels from Uline.com. I also print up two 1/2 sheet labels with our business information on it.

However, I don't label it as fragile, Live, etc. In our experience, if an employee of the shipping company is having a bad day, etc. It seems to be taken out on these boxes. As I am not with the package at all times, obviously I cannot say for sure, but the packages that have been labeled "Fragile" or "Live" seem to be mishandled more times than not!

Just my $0.02, FWIW.
Thanks,
Danielle
Danielle Meadows,
Vice President
The Coral Shoppe, div.
The Coral Conservation Company, LLC
"Leave only bubbles . . .Seek out aquacultured corals."
GrowDammit

Re: Flying fish (shipping fish via Fed Ex / FEDEX)

Postby smfarrell » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:04 pm

Has any of this changed? I want to ship some fish, and I'm worried Fedex will give me a hard time. It sounds like it's best to not tell them what's in the box.
smfarrell

Return to Business