Gulf Booming

Gulf Booming

Postby enigma » Tue May 11, 2010 5:03 pm

I wanted to post this link so the members and other conservationists around the world can see how tragically BP is destroying the Gulf of Mexico and the half hearted attempt they are making of the clean-up. I am posting this as a member and not representative of MOFIB.

I will warn you though, the author seems to think he's really funny and is trying to make fun of how oil drillers speak. Be cautious if your easily offended by foul language.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/5/11/865387/-Fishgrease:-DKos-Booming-School-%28Updated%29
With reasonable men, I will reason; with humane men I will plead; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost. --William Lloyd Garrison--
enigma

Re: Gulf Booming

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue May 11, 2010 5:40 pm

Thank you Mark for posting this.
Last edited by Amie on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited at Amy's request
Midnight Angel

Postby enigma » Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 pm

What disturbs me most is folks like us will go and donate our time and money to clean up and save the wildlife, while BP made the mess. On top of that insult, when Congress Fines BP for bad practices, they just raise the price at the pump so we get to pay for that too. We are already paying higher gas prices just over the news of the incident. Why is BP prifiting from bad news. I think congress should not fine BP, but make them clean up the ENTIRE spill and hire those who are currently unemployed to do it. Then BP should be forced to reduce their gas prices so that they are below cost for a period of time so we do not have to pay the expense for their incompetence. :x
With reasonable men, I will reason; with humane men I will plead; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost. --William Lloyd Garrison--
enigma

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue May 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Remember Exxon :twisted:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby phirefly » Tue May 11, 2010 6:22 pm

It's just so sad, that instead of making news on how they are working on saving the wildlife and resources or planning on being proactive in other situations, they are casting a wide net of blame that absolves them of any accountability and responsibility. Not surprising by any means, but still lamentable.
phirefly

Postby enigma » Tue May 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Yeah, it was the contractors fault. Well they hired and trained the contractor. Hmmmm... must be the birds, beaches and prehistoric plankton's fault. :twisted:
enigma

Postby Midnight Angel » Fri May 14, 2010 8:37 pm

And this still goes on :twisted: This is going to be the worst oil spill ever (if not already) if they don't do something soon. :cry: Get ready to be heartbroken everybody.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby aomont » Fri May 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Just heard today it´s 5 times bigger than they have said on the news...
If it holds true, it´s already twice the Exxon Valdez accident ! :(
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby Scottt » Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 pm

I agree with you all, horrible tragedy, and much larger than they admit. All they care about is money; so if one wants to help stop this kind of thing, we need to stop funding it. Try and work on ways to not buy gas/oil. Right?
Scottt

Postby Midnight Angel » Fri May 14, 2010 9:45 pm

I agree 100% and at the very least DON'T support BP :!:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Amie » Sat May 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Midnight Angel wrote: Get ready to be heartbroken everybody.

Too late, I was heartbroken the day it happened and they said they couldn't stop it from getting worse.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby Midnight Angel » Sat May 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Good point. But the pictures that we all know are coming (but that will wake up the people that still don't get it) are really going to hurt. :cry:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:55 pm

I picked up some gobies that were traded into my LFS a few weeks back. Witt helped me figure out what they were. Anyway all of these things just has me thinking that I really want to know more about the local tide pool gobies and blennies here. Anyway I think it would be cool if those of us who are lucky enough to live near the ocean knew more about what fish are out there. And of course knowing how to raise a few up may come in handy one day :wink:

Amy
Last edited by Amie on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Angel

Postby NicoleCastle » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:45 am

Midnight Angel wrote:I agree 100% and at the very least DON'T support BP :!:

Unfortunately, your local "BP station" franchise is only vaguely affiliated with BP. When you go to BP, you don't necessarily get "BP" gas, nor Chevron gas as Chevron, etc. With the exception of a few chains that have their own refineries and distribution facilities, you get gas from whomever is the local distributor along with a branded additive package. Around here, Marathon is the distributor. SO if you stop buying gas at your local BP franchise, you aren't hurting anyone but the local franchise owner.

However, there are a few places you can hit them in the pocketbook:
ARCO is a BP company, and their gas stations have gas from BP fields and dedicated BP refineries. (It's also very crappy gas.)
Castrol is entirely a BP company
"BP Connect" gas stations are corporate owned
Some AM/PM convenience stores are corporate owned, but most of them aren't. Any gas station which used to be BP Connect but has rebranded is corporate owned... otherwise you can't really tell.

BP has long been one of the worst corporations out there with a truly dreadful environmental record. Ironically, they are also the largest provider of wind and solar power.

Anyway I think it would be cool if those of us who are lucky enough to live near the ocean knew more about what fish are out there. And of course knowing how to raise a few up may come in handy one day

I agree that the Gulf has been much neglected by the reef keeping hobby. As fish breeders, there might be an opportunity here. It's hard to get people to pay the premium for CB fish versus a cheap import... but if a "new" ornamental fish could hit the market and they were available as CB only, then the collection restrictions in the Gulf could work in the favor of breeding. The hard part would be selecting the fish and getting enough stock in the chain to support demand, and then the marketing campaign to make it a "cool" fish to have.
Don't count your gobies before they've metamorphasized.
NicoleCastle

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:22 pm

Nicole I agree with you 100 %. But for the record I said at the very least don't support BP. I didn't say anything about people's local gas stations. As you said there are plenty of other ways to not support BP. I know that a lot of mom and pop stations are not the bad guys here. And many are covering up the name BP on their signs. And like you said there isn't a way to know a lot of times if they are corporate owned or not.
And you made some great points about the fish of the Gulf. But for the record the fish here would not be from the gulf.( But some of the fish here might also be found there ) And I really have no idea how many of the gobies or blennies here that would ever be popular enough for there is be a huge market for them. My point is that I would like us to all just learn more about what is out there so that we all care more about it.It is kinda sad that we pay little attention to some of the fish in our own back yards. Plus knowing how to breed these fish would come in handy in case wild populations are ever in danger. But sadly a lot of the tide pool gobies here are gray or brown. I don't think there would ever be a huge demand for them by hobbyist. But there could be a few out there that might become popular with hobbyist.

Amy
Last edited by Amie on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Angel

Postby NicoleCastle » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Midnight Angel wrote:But sadly a lot of the tide pool gobies here are gray or brown. I don't think there would ever be a huge demand for them by hobbyist. But there could be a few out there that might become popular with hobbyist.

I dunno... think of all the brown corals that look blue or purple under 20k :mrgreen: Seems like every fish store has 20k or tons of actinic lighting now. Not that I would ever suggest the kinds of marketing tactics that some of the ULTRA MEGA RARE!!! LIMITED EDITION!!! coral fraggers use.

Sorry to jump to conclusions about the BP thing. So many people here are ranting up and down about not going to BP stations, I guess I ASSumed.
Don't count your gobies before they've metamorphasized.
NicoleCastle

Postby Midnight Angel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:57 pm

Girl we are good :D I didn't get upset about it at all. And you are right because some people just jump before they have all the facts. And while it is always good to stick it to the bad guys we have to know EXACTLY who the bad guys are. And as for the gobies here you might be right. The truth is I have no idea what all the fish here are. So I don't know what they all look like. That is why I must find out. :wink:

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby enigma » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:31 pm

Please review this video on YT as it was removed from the station and 60 minutes websites by BP. DOn't know how long it will be before they remove from YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcvzkrPL9C4
enigma

Postby Midnight Angel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Mark thanks for posting that. My heart goes out to the people in the Gulf. I can't imagine how sick inside they feel over this.

Amy
Last edited by Amie on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Angel

Postby 2divers » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Don't Forget... this is from 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMsTtGyP_A
2divers

Return to Nature & Conservation