New to microscopes

New to microscopes

Postby Jhawkor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:10 am

Hello everyone, I want to get a microscope because it will be very handy in counting food densities and examining larvae. I've narrowed it down to two choices but I'm still open for suggestions.

http://www.microscopes.com/ms-ci-mi-4060.html#
or
http://www.microscopes.com/ms-ko-mi-5450.html

Also, what type of equipment will I need for taking pictures under the microscope?

Thanks everyone!
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Re: New to microscopes

Postby BaboonScience » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 am

I have a few microscopes, they are an important part of my real job. For good resolution, I try to stick to the top manufacturers, past and present. Most are not in the price range of the average fish breeder but there are ways, ebay for one. Nikon, Olympus, Bausch and Lomb (older) and American Optical (older) among others all provide excellent optics and can often be had for a song on ebay. As far as newer options, there are several digital microscopes that provide reasonably good resolution for the price. There are a couple of threads discussing these scopes. UmFish has used these with good results.

For high magnification, I use a trinocular compound scope (B&L dynazoom) with a digital camera that allows resolution for good diatom identification. Similar scopes can be had used for under $100. The digital microscope camera is the more costly item at $100 - $300 depending on the resolution desired.
A good dissecting scope is the best option for looking at larval fish (IMO). The same digital microscope camera can be used for both.
Hope that this helps a little. I am a bit high end on my use requirements but try to keep the frugal perspective of the general user in mind.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Anthony Calfo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Cheers, Landon

I'd recommend spending just a bit more and getting a trinoc scope so that you can photograph. Even folks that are not photog buffs commonly want to capture, share and/or look back on an image record. Since you are active on the hobby forums, I think you will want that benefit even more for ID and info exchange. If you go this route, do not buy the scopes that come with a camera in most cases. They cameras are on the lower quality side usually. Save your pennies for an adapter and a better camera later if you don't already have one. I got my adapter on eBay for less than $100 and it works very nicely.
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Postby Jhawkor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Anthony Calfo wrote:Cheers, Landon

I'd recommend spending just a bit more and getting a trinoc scope so that you can photograph. Even folks that are not photog buffs commonly want to capture, share and/or look back on an image record. Since you are active on the hobby forums, I think you will want that benefit even more for ID and info exchange. If you go this route, do not buy the scopes that come with a camera in most cases. They cameras are on the lower quality side usually. Save your pennies for an adapter and a better camera later if you don't already have one. I got my adapter on eBay for less than $100 and it works very nicely.

Hey Anthony, what do you think about this trinoc?
http://cgi.ebay.com/40X-2000X-LAB-TRINOCULAR-BIOLOGICAL-COMPOUND-MICROSCOPE_W0QQitemZ400049379960QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d24cd1a78
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Postby Anthony Calfo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:04 pm

I bought that model last year, my friend. The retail price is ridiculously inflated and this is hardly a medical microscope, though they have cited it as a vet scope. Yet I really can't say you'd tell the difference with aquaculture work. I'm very happy with it. The adjustments for the objectives are quite sensitive and precise. The camera adapter is industry standard and rather easy to get good images through. Overall I'd say this model is a very good value.
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Postby Luis A M » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 am

By all means buy 2nd option,a stereo dissecting scope.Good for everything except algae cell watching :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Jhawkor » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:49 am

Luis A M wrote:By all means buy 2nd option,a stereo dissecting scope.Good for everything except algae cell watching :wink:

Hi Luis, I think I'm going to purchase the one from Ebay. The link is above.
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Postby spawner » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:53 pm

That is a compound scope.

You should look for a used scope not a cheap knock off.

Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/COOL-Nikon-Laborato ... 3ca9fe1042

Then buy a good fiber optic light source.
spawner

Return to Microscopy