Clownfish UP CLOSE and personal

Clownfish UP CLOSE and personal

Postby Chelsey » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:27 pm

I am a masters student currently working in a lab that does a lot with gametes and fertility (aka sperm) and since my project is on biomarkers as an indicator of sperm quality we work a lot with fluorescent labeling of various things (Ubiquitin, PAWP Protein, LCA, PNA, etc). Well, my advisor knows that I raise clownfish and he wanted to see if the clownfish had any natural fluorescence and basically just play around with some things. The pictures below are the result.

This first set of pictures is just a clownfish fry that was euthanized and then placed in a small drop of Vectashield.

Second set of pictures is another clownfish fry that was incubated in a very dilute concentration of Mitotracker and saltwater and then euthanized. Mitotracker is a red fluorescent protein that binds to the mitochondria in cells.

Eyeball:

Pigment cells? With cells underneath fluorescing:

Rotifer:

Unfortunately our microscope magnifies too much, because we don't have any lenses that "zoom out" enough to get a full body shot.
Chelsey

Re: Clownfish UP CLOSE and personal

Postby KathyL » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Ha ha! Funniest rotifer I've ever seen! This is some fine work, Chelsey. You should make a composite of clownfish and then shrink to fit. ORA will want to breed one.
KathyL

Postby fishtal » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:55 am

That's pretty cool.
Save a Reef... Frag Your Own!
Save a Fish... Breed Your Own!
www.fishtalpropagations.com
fishtal

Postby KMB » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:10 am

You could make some money on the side selling that as art! :D I love it.

Karen
KMB

Return to Microscopy