Best for photography?

Best for photography?

Postby Scma » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:29 am

I'm looking at getting a nice, decent microscope mainly for photography. Budget around $200, already have a camera so that doesn't necessary need to be included with the scope. I've been looking at several different types, and would like to know your experience with them in particular with taking pictures.

I was specifically looking at Celestron LCD Digital Microscope and various other digital microscopes. Which do you think would be better, a digital or non-digital for best image quality? Any specific scope suggestions would be great. Willing to stretch the budget a little. Thanks :)
Scma

Re: Best for photography?

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:33 am

The Celestron is what I use for photography. The image quality is obviously not going to be as good as a good microscope, but it's very easy to use and I like it. The lighting is a bit underpowered, especially from above, so I supplement with a fiber-optic supplemental microscope light. Getting the photos and video off of the scope's hard drive has been flawless with nothing more than connecting a USB cable to my Mac. The stage is solid and comes with solid two-dimensional screw controls. For a cheaper microscope there are a lot of good features.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Scma » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Good to hear, do you have any pictures you took with it you could post here please?
Scma

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:58 pm

Sure. Sixline wrasse embryo. This is the 4x objective (times whatever internal magnification the scope gives: 10x is the current guess).

This is the 10x objective:

Here's a ciliate under the 40x objective. That's a video still, so it's probably not as sharp as the picture could be.

Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Ed Ricketts » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:46 pm

Andy

Had received that Celestron as a gift, played with it but didn't really get too excited about it initially. But after your endorsement of the image capture and the ease of "Mac" compatibility, I'll give it another look. Thanks!

Mike
Ed Ricketts

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:41 am

Yeah, it's certainly not the worst scope I've ever used. The lack of eyepieces makes it less flexible but better for my aching eyes. It's well worth playing with to see what you can get.
Andy

"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby snowmaker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:08 am

Would that scope be the item #44340 like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-44340-D ... 980&sr=1-9
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
--Aristotle
snowmaker

Return to Microscopy