which microscope to buy?

which microscope to buy?

Postby jadeguppy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:39 pm

I'm wanting to buy a microscope for my 5 year old son and myself. I want to use it as a hobbists and to show my son some cool stuff. I still remember having a kids microscope and looking at all the little critter in the school's drinking water when I was in elementary school. Any suggestions? I'd like to see rotifers and plant cells, that type of stuff.
jadeguppy

Re: which microscope to buy?

Postby spawner » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:42 pm

what is your budget?
spawner

Postby Almon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm also considering buying a microscope to count rotifers. I was looking at low-end scopes with cameras. Carson has two under $100. They also have really inexpensive ones that are probably great for a 5 year old. Wal-mart has one with an LCD screen for $180.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/carson-microscopes.html

I'd be interested in hearing what the people with experience use or recommend.
Almon
Almon

Postby jadeguppy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Under $100 with a camera? I wasn't really thinking of spending that much, but a camera would be really cool.
jadeguppy

Postby spawner » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 am

Look on Ebay or at a toy store..
spawner

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:52 am

The low end's getting better, but you still get the optics that you pay for.

I got a great old Bausch & Lomb stereoscope on Ebay for a decent deal. The higher-end magnifications don't work very well but I don't need that end for anything. You should also check your local universities. They often auction off their used equipment for okay prices. The used equipment industry has figured out that microscopes often fetch decent prices, so the scopes won't likely go as cheaply as you'd want them to, but it's not like paying new. Yikes.

But I managed to get by with one of the toy USB microscopes for a while. They are certainly a great way to get kids interested.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Gomojoe » Sun May 16, 2010 7:23 pm

I wonder if I could get one for a reasonble price that I could hook up to my camera? I've got a Nikon D90 that I would like to be able to use with it!
Gomojoe

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Sun May 16, 2010 8:59 pm

I think it depends on what you mean by a "reasonable price." I've actually found it much easier to work with a scope with a dedicated camera (especially as it doesn't get dust on my camera sensor like my trinoc 'scope does). The Celestron scope with the attached LCD screen is what I use and it's okay. The lights are underpowered and the optics aren't as nice as I want, but not too bad.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby Gomojoe » Sun May 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Gomojoe

Return to Microscopy