Microscopes

Microscopes

Postby CmonSnz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:07 pm

I have seen some really nice logs from several different people either breeding fish or breeding shrimp or just pointing out a nasty little something or other......

Would like to see some pictures of the scopes you are using.
What kind of money would be involved especially for camera work...
Do you recommend Achromatic or Apromatic not sure if this is right but referring to the quality of the lens.
Basically would like input from all aspects to be able to make a decent decision on a purchase.

Thanks,

John
CmonSnz

Re: Microscopes

Postby BaboonScience » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:13 pm

CmonSnz wrote:Would like to see some pictures of the scopes you are using.
What kind of money would be involved especially for camera work...
Do you recommend Achromatic or Apromatic not sure if this is right but referring to the quality of the lens.
Basically would like input from all aspects to be able to make a decent decision on a purchase.

Thanks,

John

Good Lord, another John in the Atlanta area! :roll:
Give yourself an introduction on the members intro forum.

The pricing of scopes can range widely.
Matt uses an intel digital scope (really meant as a toy) that gives excellent results! I have seen them for under $100 in local pawn shops.
My system is a little pricier, but I use it professionally. There is also alot of do it yourself in my setup.
Here is a pic of my compound work station.
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby CmonSnz » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:23 pm

John,

Thanks for the pic.... Looks like a really nice system. I am interested in purchasing one of those desk ornaments, but hate to buy something without putting some time in on the research. I don't want to regret buying 2 months later because I didn't take the time to read and listen to people who already own them.

Thanks again,

John
CmonSnz

Re:

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:16 am

CmonSnz wrote:John,

Thanks for the pic.... Looks like a really nice system. I am interested in purchasing one of those desk ornaments, but hate to buy something without putting some time in on the research. I don't want to regret buying 2 months later because I didn't take the time to read and listen to people who already own them.

Thanks again,

John

John
Sounds like I am talking to myself?
I always preach to go with one of the old top manufacturers. I use the B&L because it has some of the best optics ever put into a mid range scope. I keep a spare of both dissecting and compound scopes as well as spare parts simply because I cannot afford the down time, but I have never had to use them. These are 25 year old scopes!
In addition, Nikon, Olympus, Zeiss, Leitz and Wild are sure fire reliable for both their compound and dissecting. I have seen low to mixed medium reviews of the Russian and Chinese knockoffs. I cretainly would not want them for my high end work.
That said, look again at the good results Matt (MWP) had seen with his Intel product. They are impressive.
I don't know what Luis is using, but his results are impressive as well.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby Witt » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:53 am

John,

Good advice and nice set up! I have to ask. Is the adapter PVC with nylon screws? Can you give a source?
Witt

Re:

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:44 am

Witt wrote:John,

Good advice and nice set up! I have to ask. Is the adapter PVC with nylon screws? Can you give a source?

Witt
Thanks for the compliment!
The source is LOWE's
Yes, PVC fittings with Nylon screws.
I'll get some pics of the breakdown and assembly. I wanted to make another for my dissecting scope anyway. Beats having to transfer the assembly.
The camera is a Cannon A520, which provides excellent computer interface with its own software. Advanced software is available for a price, but out of the box, not bad. I used an adapter ring from a dead A70 for the interface so that I did not have to sacrifice the original. Not many middle of the road cameras lend themselves to microscope interface so easily.
BaboonScience

Postby Witt » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:32 am

Awesome! and very creative...
Witt

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:49 pm

BaboonScience wrote:I don't know what Luis is using, but his results are impressive as well.
John

A cheap Indian compound,and an even cheaper Tasco dissecting which I bought as a bargain because it didn´t focus.It was just bad assembled :lol: .The kit is completed with a Sony Cybershot,an adapter for both scopes and a rusty 40W incand spotlight for the Tasco.Nothing fancy really! 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Re:

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:55 pm

Luis A M wrote:
BaboonScience wrote:I don't know what Luis is using, but his results are impressive as well.
John

A cheap Indian compound,and an even cheaper Tasco dissecting which I bought as a bargain because it didn´t focus.It was just bad assembled :lol: .The kit is completed with a Sony Cybershot,an adapter for both scopes and a rusty 40W incand spotlight for the Tasco.Nothing fancy really! 8)

Luis
That makes your shots even more impressive.
However, I have used those "cheap" dissecting scopes and they work well.
In addition, the sony cybershot is a good camera for scope work if you can keep it steady. What type of mount do you use?
BaboonScience

Postby CmonSnz » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:09 am

All,

So is there a good place online to shop? Or do you get them from schools when they buy new?
I guess I would be looking to get a dissecting scope I don't see that I would need the compound at this time.
Thanks for your input, I certainly appreciate it.

John
CmonSnz

Postby Zooid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:42 am

What kind of magnifications should we be looking for to observe eggs? I see some online that are 1600X but that seems like overkill to me. Since I've really never used a scope (for about 35 years anyway), it's hard for me to judge.
Thanks
Gale
Zooid

Postby Witt » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:41 pm

Much of this comes down to personal opinion and hopefully you will get the opinion of a bunch of folks here. For me, eggs are viewed at 40x most often. This means low power on a compound scope (4x objective with a 10x ocular). A decent stereo scope would allow you to see if the eggs were at least fertile and give you room to play with larvae and food cultures. Ebay typically has loads of scopes, but it is amazing that even the archaic scopes from the 50s are still a small fortune. Keep your eyes open at local flea markets and garage sales and let the word of mouth fly that you are looking for a scope. You would be surprised by how many people have them collecting dust in the basement. Universities can be a good source, but most have a hard time letting go.
Witt

Postby chaz » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi,
I use a second hand REICHERT-JUNG MicroStar Binoclar Scope along with a Sony Cybershot. 2 pieces of plastic pipe glued together make up the adaptor, great for parasites and 1 day old larvae.

Chaz.
chaz

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:11 pm

BaboonScience wrote:That makes your shots even more impressive.
However, I have used those "cheap" dissecting scopes and they work well.
In addition, the sony cybershot is a good camera for scope work if you can keep it steady. What type of mount do you use?

The adapter mount is actually the only expensive part,400 something or the same as the camera :shock:
But it is mostly a well made handcraft,Michael something,don´t have the link here.
Luis
Luis A M

Re:

Postby Zooid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Witt wrote:For me, eggs are viewed at 40x most often. This means low power on a compound scope (4x objective with a 10x ocular). A decent stereo scope would allow you to see if the eggs were at least fertile and give you room to play with larvae and food cultures.

Thanks Matt, I think I'll stop looking at the HIGH magnification scopes then and just look for a good stereo microscope.
Zooid

Postby thejrc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:19 am

Budget around $200 per scope and pick up both a compound and a dissection would be the best bet. You can pick up a decent stereo dissection in that range.

Heres my bench (dont mind the mess) The stereo is a Konus Opal 40x dissection that I picked up for about $120 new and next to it is a cheap hobby lobby 400x compound that came with a little usb camera. I use the compound for counting cells but really most the time it's the stereo dissection that pays the way!

Since most of my clients are engineering companies I often run across used stereo setups (they use them for soldering small parts and such) ranging from super low to super high end... IMHO the Konus does it's job at a great price! A better compound is in the future for me but not till I finish acquiring the rest of my lab wish list as this one will do find for now. So far Ebay has been wonders, I've been able to pick up my microfuge, tubes, a micropipette (much valued peice of equipment) and a few water baths on a very tight budget!

thejrc

Re:

Postby BaboonScience » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:23 am

Luis A M wrote:
BaboonScience wrote:The adapter mount is actually the only expensive part,400 something or the same as the camera :shock:
But it is mostly a well made handcraft,Michael something,don´t have the link here.

That is funny, there are several web sites that describe microscope adapters.
This is one.
http://truetex.com/micad.htm

Zooid
I agree with Matt (Witt). Low Mag Dissecting scope should do fine. A good characteristic is a zoom function. This usually allows you to zoom from 5x to 40x or 50x with the twist of a dial. Luis' Cheap side lamps are apparently all you need for illumination. :roll:

OK, trust me, you get what you pay for. ALWAYS. If you pay less than what it is worth, you will have to put time and money into restoring it.
Check out this link and see what is demanding the high prices. It is overwhelmingly the "vintage scopes", wonder why? Not because they are antiques. And the people seeking these scopes from the multitude of "brand new" items KNOW microscopes.
If you are a seller, then click on "completed auctions" to get an idea of end prices.

I had a Perfecto Microscope when I was a kid. I could see a human hair through with those optics, but better resolution with the naked eye. To a near sited person, the world looks a whole lot sharper throudh corrective lenses.
IMHO
John
BaboonScience

Re:

Postby aomont » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi John,
BaboonScience wrote:I'll get some pics of the breakdown and assembly. I wanted to make another for my dissecting scope anyway. Beats having to transfer the assembly.

Any chance you have taken these pics already ? I was thinking on doing something similar for our lab microscope.
Thanks,
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Re:

Postby BaboonScience » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:01 am

aomont wrote:Hi John,
BaboonScience wrote:I'll get some pics of the breakdown and assembly. I wanted to make another for my dissecting scope anyway. Beats having to transfer the assembly.

Any chance you have taken these pics already ? I was thinking on doing something similar for our lab microscope.
Thanks,
Anderson.

Thanks for the interest Anderson. Maybe we should have a designers challenge!
Sorry for the delay. Problems with uploading to my personal web page. Working now. Will upload this series tomorrow.
Equipment needed will be a Nylon Screws (fairly robust, I used 1/4-20 pan head screws) and corresponding drill bit and thread tap. fine tooth hack saw. PVC pipe supplier. Small amount of two part epoxy or gel super glue. Alternately, methylene chloride or 1,2-DiChloroEthylene work quite well to weld a variety of plastics to each other.
Pics and instructions to come.
John
BaboonScience

Postby leanne » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:23 am

Try some hospital labs and see if they have any old ones. The old ones are better than some of the pics there. You should be able to get one quite cheap (or even free).

I used a Nikon Eclipse E400 to take these pics (x40 and x400). They are about £6000 ($11000) though - I borrowed one at work...

x40

x100

It was amazing to watch the blood coursing around their veins. But I couldn't see the heart beating...
leanne

Postby spawner » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:19 pm

I use a Martin Microscope Adapter. I have been using them for years. They are well worth the money. I normally purchase my camera around what adapter they make.

http://www.martinmicroscope.com/New%20MM%20Page.htm
spawner

Re:

Postby Antony P.M. » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:58 pm

BaboonScience wrote:Yes, PVC fittings with Nylon screws.
I'll get some pics of the breakdown and assembly. I wanted to make another for my dissecting scope anyway. Beats having to transfer the assembly.

Sorry for digging up an old thread...

Dr.John, have you managed to take step by step pics of this, as I'm seriously intentioned in following your advice for a DIY PVC adapter for a stereo trino 'scope.
Thanks

Antony
Antony P.M.

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:46 am

Antony
As a matter of fact I have.
Anderson (Aomont) reminded me just the other day that I was going to post them.
Time does get away.
I'll get the pics up as soon as I can find the file that I hid them in. :shock:
My wife read this and is instructed to remind me! :lol:
John
BaboonScience

Postby r33fking » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:49 pm

i am in the market for an inexpensive microscope to monitor rotifers ,nannochloropsis, and copepods. what magnification range should i look for ? im in the $100 range .
*******FISH 'R' FRIENDS*******
r33fking

Postby Surfzone » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:16 pm

This is the microscope that I found in a local hobby shop for $90.00. It works well for what I need it to do. It takes video and pictures, or you can use it as a traditional scope too.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php ... ProdID=515
Kevin
Surfzone

Next

Return to Microscopy