My Visit To The Georgia and Tennessee Aquariums

My Visit To The Georgia and Tennessee Aquariums

Postby Chelsey » Sun May 17, 2009 10:44 pm

For my "graduation" present (bachelors in Animal Science, I still have a masters and DVM to get) my mom and I took a quick trip to Atlanta to visit the Georgia aquarium and then stopped by the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga on the way back. We took the behind the scenes tour at the GA Aquarium and I arranged a meeting with one of the marine biologists that work on the Ocean Voyager exhibit for later in the day. It was an absolutely amazing experience that I would do again in a heartbeat, except next time I go I'll be diving with the whale sharks! The pics below are the result of my trip and are arranged by exhibit.

Behind the Scenes

These are the metal halides over the Tropical Diver exhibit. I believe they're 1000 watts each though I forgot to ask.

This is the surge device for the Tropical Diver exhibit.

Chemistry lab where they monitor everything testable in their systems. I believe that they perform over 3000 tests here weekly.

Freezer where they keep their fish foods. The commissary was next door but there wasn't anything super interesting going on in there.

Here are a few bags of extra salt. Each bag is 2000lbs.

Surgery/Operation room. Notice that everything is on wheels so if they need to they can take the equipment to the patient.

River Scout

Possibly my newest addition/hobby, discus.

Asian clawed otter:

Gator:

These guys weren't in the River Scout exhibit but they were right in front of it. The "Geico Geckos"

Coldwater Quest
There aren't many pics in this one because I am not satisfied with many of my pics from this exhibit. I was particularly frustrated that I couldn't get any good pics of the leafy/weedy seadragons.

Weedy Seadragon:

Leafy Seadragon:

Belugas:

Catalina Goby:

Anemone:

Ocean Voyager

Whale shark tank (includes manta ray and pretty much everything else):

Tropical Diver
I will say that while impressive I was a bit disappointed with the corals in this display. I know that they'll take a while to grow out but there weren't that many corals in there to start with and they had a SERIOUS aiptasia problem (they're working on it...Joe's Juice!). The fish in this display were SO FAT!

They couldn't make an acrylic sheet big enough for this reef wall so they had to have seams (hence the big lines):

I don't know my anthias species at all but these looked cool ;)

Aberrant male anthias?

Cool looking ray of some sort from the top of the exhibit when I was on the behind the scenes tour:

Grandpa's startin' her young:

Look at the girth on this naso pair!

Sweetlips

Achilles aberration or hybrid of some sort. Where there's supposed to be black he was a bluish-grey.

Tinkers that was in the tank with the garden eels:

Garden eels:
There were probably about 100 garden eels in the sandbed in a display (not reef wall display, a different one) but the sandbed was below where the acrylic display panel was so I couldn't get a clear shot because of the angle.

The jellyfish display was also in the "Tropical Diver" exhibit:

They had a really nice anemone/clown display...I didn't stay around that one long because all I heard was "NEMO!!!!!!" and after hearing "DORY!!!!!" in front of the reef wall I had about had enough ;)

Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga
I should've visited this one first...it seemed dismal in comparison to what I'd seen the day before in Atlanta :)

Butterfly Garden

Hyacinth Macaw

Vanda Orchid

I'll see if I can't resize a few pics from the TN Aquarium tomorrow.

Overall I had an awesome time and took a TON of pictures...>1500.
100 gallon cube
25 gallon mantis tank
~750 gallon (and growing) broodstock system
Chelsey

Re: My Visit To The Georgia and Tennessee Aquariums

Postby BaboonScience » Mon May 18, 2009 12:36 am

BEAUTIFUL!
We have been to the GA Aquarium several times. Great place and they seem to be getting better every time we visit.

I have yet to make it to the Tennessee Aquarium. So close....
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby D3monic » Mon May 18, 2009 12:44 am

Very nice pics! Looks like you had loads of fun!
Mike,

The only thing they can get me for is running a funeral parlor without a license- Gacy

Proud member of JARC (joliet area reef club)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcuF4Wkcl8 Current Mood.
D3monic

Postby enigma » Mon May 18, 2009 3:03 pm

Stunning pics!

I too was somewhat disappointed with the reef display. You are correct that they started with too few coral considering that they have the ability to trade with other AZA institutions. Aptasia problems seem to be a common problem among public aquaria as well.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Should you ever make it to the Tennessee Aquarium John look up my buddy Thom Demas! He runs the place and he's a great guy!
With reasonable men, I will reason; with humane men I will plead; but to tyrants I will give no quarter, nor waste arguments where they will certainly be lost. --William Lloyd Garrison--
enigma

Return to Photography