Breeding clowns

Breeding clowns

Postby Reef Keeper 18 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:56 pm

What will I need for a basic set up of a broodstock tank. And What type of clown is good to breed(meaning easy to get to spawn but sells for a decent buck) not in it totally for the money because I love clowns but I dont wanna waste my $$$ on rotis and all that I'm I'm breeding ocellaris. Black ocellaris good? Picasso? snowcasso? snowflake? all suggestions are helpful
Reef Keeper 18

Re: Breeding clowns

Postby jeff@zina.com » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:21 am

Reef Keeper 18 wrote:And What type of clown is good to breed(meaning easy to get to spawn but sells for a decent buck)...

None. :)

Pretty much, if you're looking for a positive return on breeding, you're looking in the wrong place. That said, any of the designer clowns will sell for more, but you'll have a higher initial investment. And usually a higher cull rate. Granted, you may be able to sell the culls for a lower rate, but they won't be in heavy demand.

Read the forums for the information you need on breeding. Pick up Frank Hoff's or Joyce Wilkerson's book and study it. You're a year or more off from selling your first batch, so use your time wisely.

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry