Whats it called when a male changes bach to female?

Whats it called when a male changes bach to female?

Postby joefrith » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:39 am

Can't remember what its called?
joefrith

Postby KathyL » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:26 am

Bizarre surgery on a dead composer...sorry:D

Protandrous hermaphrodite --male to female

I think... :D
Last edited by KathyL on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
KathyL

Postby FMarini » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:58 am

time for a refresher course
http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/breeder.htm

In some species, such as groupers, the female phase occurs first in the life cycle. These fish are known as protogynous hermaphrodites, and the condition is protogyny. When the male phase occurs first, as in clownfish, the fish are protandrous hermaphrodites, and the condition is protandry. Usually, once a sex change has occurred in a fish in either direction, it is apparently not reversible, but there is some evidence that suggests that a protogynous Pomacanthid angelfish, Genicanthus lamarck, reared in captivity from a juvenile may have begun the change from female to male, and then reverted back to female. Interestingly, some species of wrasses and parrotfish have primary males, which are born male, and secondary males, which become males after having been females. Some species of guppies, Poeciliidae, and silversides, Atherinidae, are all female, and produce eggs with a complete complement of genetic material and do not need to be fertilized, although sometimes a sperm from a related species is used to stimulate development.
frank
FMarini

Postby joefrith » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Was that really necessary Kathy, LOL :D

Thanks both of you.
joefrith

Postby joefrith » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:18 pm

Frank I posted this at reefcentral, hope you don't mind, good information.
joefrith

Postby FMarini » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:28 pm

reef who????

of course I don't mind, I still hope that the FBF survives regardless of the 3 posts/week its now getting.

Just for fun, I did a lurk (you know I am banned again for being a criminal), and

Matt's mandarin thread is 29th on the list having been closed on the second of July.

The "Where's Frank" thread is #31.

I'm sure they are having a lot of fun over there without our criminal presence. We are so bad...
FMarini

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:08 am

Kathy,could you define composer?

Interestingly,clowns are protandrous,(first male) hermaphrodites,but all the other ornamental sex changers are protogynous (first female).
Luis
Luis A M

Postby KathyL » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:26 am

Johann Sebastian Bach was an old German guy who wrote some great music for orchestra that is now classical. He is, of course, dead now.

I was (shame on me) making fun of a mispelling. Bach instead of back.

If a man changed the deceased Mr Bach(k) to a female, it would be really bizarre, don't you think? :oops:

If it makes anyone feel better, I've just mistyped bach for back and back for bach at lease twice while sumitting this post. That's what I get for making fun of a misspelling!
KathyL

Postby FuEl » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:07 am

Female to male then back to female? Sex reversal does occur but not that common. Witt's book did mention about some species of dottybacks and gobies that managed to revert their sex.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:59 pm

KathyL wrote:Johann Sebastian Bach was an old German guy who wrote some great music for orchestra that is now classical. He is, of course, dead now.

I was (shame on me) making fun of a mispelling. Bach instead of back.

If a man changed the deceased Mr Bach(k) to a female, it would be really bizarre, don't you think? :oops:

If it makes anyone feel better, I've just mistyped bach for back and back for bach at lease twice while sumitting this post. That's what I get for making fun of a misspelling!

:lol:No shame,but pride for such a sharp,albeit unusual sense of humor for those latitudes! :D
I completely missed it."Back"is such a common word that it was obviously a typo,not a misspell."H" and "K" are neighbour keys :)
Luis
Luis A M

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry