What eats L amboinensis?

What eats L amboinensis?

Postby Gregg » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:24 am

In the 1990s I had a pair of L amboinensis in my 75g mixed reef that released larvae on a regular 7 day cycle (14 days for each shrimp). Never had much luck, couldn't get them past day 18 using Nanno, Rotifers and BBS. I haven't had any L amboinensis for about 10 years or so. I still have that same 75g mixed reef going. Tuesday night I picked up a pair of L amboinensis that were both about 1.5" in length, with the hopes of trying again. Did my standard slow acclimation over about an hour and released into my tank right as the sun was "setting" in the tank. Both looked good.

Early Wednesday morning before I left for work, and before the "sun rise" in the tank I could only see one, but it looked OK. When I got home from work Wednesday evening, I couldn't find either one...after thoroughly scouring the tank, I could see a couple of white antennae sticking out of my patch of mushrooms. After feeding the tank and still no sign of either, and the antennae not coming out of the mushrooms I reached in and pulled out the front half of a shrimp. The shrimp was bitten/chopped in half, right between the head and thorax. Antenna, eyes, mouth parts and legs were all undamaged. At first I hoped it was just part of a molt, but it definitely was not a molt, it was half of the shrimp, it still had the flesh inside.

Tank inhabitants are:

• 5" Yellow tang (Been in the tank since April 1995)
• 3.5" Pajama Cardinal (Been in the tank since 2000)
• "Hawaiian White Starfish" - possibly Ophiomastix sp. It looks like some sort of brittle star. It is pink/reddish with white spines. Central disc is approximately 1" diameter, arms are maybe 0.25 diameter near disc, about 6" in length. Been in the tank for about 8 years.
• Caulastera sp LPS
• 4 sp. of Mushrooms
• Green Star Polyps
• Two sp. of Zooanthid
• 3 Tree corals (unknown sp.)
• 3 pieces of plating Montipora sp.
• Blue Leg hermits
• various sp. of snails
• Live rock, added between 15 and 12 years ago, from various places including Florida, Fiji, Marshall Islands and Tonga that I know of
• 25 lbs live sand, and 25 lbs dry aragonite sand added 15 years ago

I know that the fauna in the tank is varied, I have lots of the asterina stars, limpets, and copepods on the glass, amphipods on/in the rock and various worms in the sand, including at least two different species of bristle worms, one red and the other a pale green with white setae. Plus, of course, who knows what I can't/don't see that may have grown in the sand/rock over the last 15 years.

What would eat L. amboinensis? I have some thoughts on this, but would like to hear any ideas anyone may have about this.

Thanks
Gregg

Re: What eats L amboinensis?

Postby PaulG » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:05 pm

Gregg,

To answer your question..... anything that can get it in its mouth.

My $$$ would be on the Pyjama Cardinal allthough especially if only part of the shrimp was found.

I've had dottybacks take peppermint shrimp whoch are teh same same as them, they just break them into smaller pieces.
PaulG

Postby Gregg » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:39 am

PaulG wrote:Gregg,

To answer your question..... anything that can get it in its mouth.

My $$$ would be on the Pyjama Cardinal allthough especially if only part of the shrimp was found.

Since the Cardinal is the only thing that has a mouth even close to big enough to fit the shrimp in it, that was my guess too. It just seems weird since I thought all reef fish had "the deal" with Cleaner shrimp..."I won't eat you in return for your services". I feed the tank daily and the cardinal always eats well, is not thin, and has bright colors, so he shouldn't be so hungry.

Oh well, I guess no more l amboinensis for me unless I get rid of the cardinal

Thanks
Gregg

Postby spawner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Mantis shrimp love them.
spawner

Postby Amie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:00 pm

You only have 2 fish in your tank? But if the shrimp died in your tank because of some chemical imbalance that they can not adjust to, then your worms would be able to consume the bodies within hours. Have you been running the same 75 gallon tank for over 10 years without any crashes? How often do you do water chances, how big are they and what kinds of chemicals do you dose with?

I've had a hawkfish kill a few of them, so I'm not sure the mouth size is always a great test.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby Gregg » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:58 am

spawner wrote:Mantis shrimp love them.

I have no personal experience with mantis shrimp, but wouldn't I have heard/seen it or it's "wake" at some point? I haven't added any live rock or corals (except small 2-3" pieces of rubble to use for coral 'plugs') to this tank in over 2 years. Or are they sneaky enough that I wouldn't know it was in the tank for that long?

Amie wrote:You only have 2 fish in your tank? But if the shrimp died in your tank because of some chemical imbalance that they can not adjust to, then your worms would be able to consume the bodies within hours. Have you been running the same 75 gallon tank for over 10 years without any crashes? How often do you do water chances, how big are they and what kinds of chemicals do you dose with?

I've had a hawkfish kill a few of them, so I'm not sure the mouth size is always a great test.

Yes, only 2 fish, Yellow Tang and Pajama Cardinal

Yes, this tank has been set up and running since 1995 with only one "crash" in 1997 when the fish in it had an ich outbreak. The Yellow tang, of all 7 fish that were in the tank at the time was the only one to survive. I have only live rock, live sand and a "Seaclone" protein skimmer for filtration. I do a 6 gallon water change weekly, and stir up/siphon out detritus when I do.

The only dosing I do is:
B-Ionic two part Ca/Alk, 30 mL 3-4 times per week
B-Ionic Mg, 30 mL 3-4 times per week
5 mL Kent Iodine weekly, right after water change
1 mL Kent Sr/Mb, monthly
ESV Kalkwasser, dosed as needed for evaporation, usually 4-5 gallons per week.

Tank parameters are:
pH - 8.0-8.2 (Monitored via probe, calibrated monthly)
Temp - 78.0-80.0 (Monitored via probe)

All tested weekly right before water change:
S.G. - 1.0255
NO3 - 5-7.5
PO4 - 0.2
Ca - 425
pH - 8.0 (Liquid test)

Since I found half of one of the shrimp, I didn't think it was the worms, it looked too "clean", like a bite.

Thanks
Gregg

Postby Amie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:01 am

There's no way that either of those fish were the culprit. If you had a mantis, you would hear a clicking noise periodically. Maybe you have a rock crab that has grown over the years? Can you test your alkalinity and iodine levels? If those are fine, I'm stumped.
Amie

Postby mikegreen » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 am

What types of "Mushrooms"?
mikegreen

Postby Gregg » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:40 am

Amie wrote:There's no way that either of those fish were the culprit. If you had a mantis, you would hear a clicking noise periodically. Maybe you have a rock crab that has grown over the years? Can you test your alkalinity and iodine levels? If those are fine, I'm stumped.

My Iodine, Mg, and Alk kits ran out a while back and I never replaced them. :oops:

As for a rock crab, I guess it's possible, but I would think I'd see it, even occasionally, right? Largest crab I have is a couple of "left handed hermits" that are no way big enough to take down a shrimp.

mikegreen wrote:What types of "Mushrooms"?

Here's pics of the four types that I have:

Fuzzy

Flourescent Green

Blue

Red
Gregg

Postby Amie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:05 am

Nope...not those mushrooms. Some big huge fuzzy's, maybe. Paul, Dottybacks can be MEAN. I had forgot, until reading your post, that I had a dottyback kill a shrimp once as well. They are impossible to get out of your tank once they are in, smart #$%^£@* fish.
Amie

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry