flatworm eating fish

flatworm eating fish

Postby jadeguppy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:58 pm

I've treated my 40g with pig dewormer in the past with seemingly good results, but this is the second time that the flatworms have come back. I'm looking for a reef safe fish that won't be scared by my puffer or rabbitfish and will eat the flatworms. I also managed to cross contaminate my 65g tall erectus seahorse tank (some gorgonians, macro algae, and grass) and it has the little annoyances growing on the glass. I'd like to add a fish to that tank too, but it must be docile and not have an apetite for erectus fry. I've gotta have time to pull the babies before they are eaten, much to the displeasure of my bangaii pair that will be moving to their new home soon. Any suggestions?
jadeguppy

Re: flatworm eating fish

Postby snowmaker » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:09 am

I think many wrasses will eat FW's. I have fw's in a sump, but with a sixline wrasse in display, I've never seen a fw in display.
Oddly, I use to have a Valantini puffer that ate them too.
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
--Aristotle
snowmaker

Postby Midnight Angel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Snowmaker is right about the wrasses. We had a flatworm problem here in one of the coral tanks and a fourline wrasse ate them all. It was bad and now you can't find a single flatworm in there.

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby jadeguppy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks. That is good news. I think the sump is where the problem keeps returning from, which is why I want a predator in the tank.
jadeguppy

Postby snowmaker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:39 am

I have not personally confirmed it, but understand that de-worming products won't kill eggs. Some people have reported success in eliminating FW's by using FWE - Flat Worm Exit - once a week for 3 weeks. I'm guessing this will give time for unhatched eggs to hatch to be killed by subsequent treatment(s).
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
--Aristotle
snowmaker

Postby r33fking » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:32 pm

i have heard that yellow damsels eat them
*******FISH 'R' FRIENDS*******
r33fking

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry