Received warm cyclopeeze instead of cold - can I use it?

Received warm cyclopeeze instead of cold - can I use it?

Postby david355 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:58 pm

I ordered frozen cyclop-eeze from petsolutions.com but when I opened the box. It thawed out & warm when touched. Can I use it? I called petsolutions.com & they told me it good to use. I need your input. It looked orange in color instead of red. This is my first time order of frozen cyclop-eeze so I really don't know the color of frozen cyclop-eeze.

Here is the picture:

Thanks
david355

Re: Received warm cyclopeeze instead of cold - can I use it?

Postby KathyL » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:22 pm

It's orange, but I would demand another batch. This stuff isn't cheap, and they should know how to pack it... I would not use it if it is warm.
KathyL

Postby NicoleCastle » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:09 pm

If it had still been cool to the touch, it would be borderline, but if it was actually warm... I wouldn't use it.

It says "keep frozen" right on the bag. I think you should insist on a replacement or refund. Unless the shipment was delayed for some reason, I would ask for a refund, since they clearly do not know how to handle their stock.
Don't count your gobies before they've metamorphasized.
NicoleCastle

Postby Crooks » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:15 am

If this was seafood for you to eat would you eat it?
Crooks

Postby david355 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:43 am

I called customer service & the guy on the phone told me that it is good to use as long as the bag is sealed. He's in this business for 20 years & there is nothing wrong with the food. I bought this to feed my GSM fry. I will call them tomorrow & ask for a replacement. Thanks for your comments.
david355

Postby KathyL » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:05 am

Tell them that if there was any bacteria in that bag, it does not matter if the bag was sealed or not. Cyclopeze are a highly nutritious source of food for bacteria as well as fish, and if allowed to be at room temperature for an unknown amount of time, bacteria will multiply in the bag, secreting toxins as well as supporting the bacterial proliferation. You cannot feed it to your fish with any certainty that you will not be poisoning them.

Can they guarantee that the warmed cyclopeeze is not now toxic? I don't care how many years of experience he has, if he has not analyzed the contents of your bag, after it has been warmed up, he does not know whether or not something is growing in there.

If he tells you that they sterilized the sealed bags by irradiation, then yes, it is OK to use. I would doubt that this is true. If they had sterilized the bags, they could send it to you at room temp on purpose, and save a tremendous amount of money on shipping.
KathyL

Postby DanUnderwood » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Even if bacteria wasn't an issue, the fatty acids break down rapidly. Even frozen, if the temps aren't low enough they will break down, just slower. Also many fish will turn their noses up at food that has been frozen, defrosted and refrozen. I would not use it anymore than I would use frozen mysis that arrived warm.

Dan
Dan Underwood
Seahorse Source, Inc.
DanUnderwood

Postby david355 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:39 pm

I call this afternoon & told them about bacteria might got into the frozen food. They told me that there is no bacteria but I insisted that I wanted a replacement. Finally, They agreed to ship out a replacement. We'll see. Thanks everyone for your advices & comments.
david355

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry