collecting brine shrimp eggs

collecting brine shrimp eggs

Postby jadeguppy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:08 pm

My adult brine shrimp are constantly dropping eggs/cycsts. Is there a good way that I can collect the eggs for future hatching when I do a water change on the brine shrimp grow out tub? I hate the thought of throwing away eggs because I can't seperate them from the detris and I'm concerned that leaving the detris and eggs in the new tub will defeat the purpose of the water change. Thanks!
jadeguppy

Re: collecting brine shrimp eggs

Postby Scottt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:50 am

I bet they would float in a 'brine' solution, then could be scooped off the surface. Could be totally wrong here though.. Does anyone actually know?
Scottt

Postby JimWelsh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:06 am

From Plankton Culture Manual, by Hoff & Snell, pp 105-106:

"At low salinities and optimal food levels, fertilized females usually produce free swimming nauplii (ovoviviparous reproduction) at a rate of up to 75 nauplii per day. They may produce 10-11 broods over an average live cycle of 50 days. Under ideal conditions adult Artemia survive for several months and produce up to 300 nauplii or cysts every 4 days.

"Cyst production (oviparous reproduction) is induced by high salinity, under conditions of high overpopulation (large O2 fluctuations between day and night), and chronic food shortages. At high salinities (> 150 ppt) and low oxygen concentrations, shell glands accumulate a brown compound called hematine. Embryos develop to the gastrula stage, become surrounded by a thick shell and enter dormancy. Under these conditions cyst production (oviparous) becomes dominant. Females can release up to 75 cysts per day which float in the high salinity water. The floating cysts are eventually blown ashore where they accumulate in large masses and dry. Development is resumed when the cysts are re-hydrated and the life cycle is begun again."
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:10 pm

In the FAO manual you could see how harvested eggs are washed and processed and air blown.But this is industrial,never heard this being done at the hobbyst level.Too much work,I guess. :roll:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby jadeguppy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:07 pm

I musat not be getting cysts then. I thought that what I have been seeing is cysts on the bottom of the bucket. I know I have found some newly hatched ones, so I guess the "eggs" are hatching from the shrimp or something like that.
jadeguppy

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:52 pm

You wont have any doubt if you get cysts.They float and look the same as if you had sprinkled some eggs from the can. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby jadeguppy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:16 pm

ummmm.... I did that too... I guess I better not hatch new ones in with the older ones. Hubby better hurry up and drink the coke. ;)
jadeguppy

Postby Scottt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:42 am

Do you have your methods for brine shrimp culture written down somewhere Jade?
I've been trying, but am worried about water quality.
Scottt

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry