Floor cleaner?

Floor cleaner?

Postby JimWelsh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 pm

My wife wants me to ask what product(s) are appropriate for cleaning the floor of a fish breeding room. Our fish room floor has a linoleum surface. Obviously, ammonia-based products are out. Do any of you have some preferred safe, non-toxic (to the fish, at least), effective cleansers?
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Re: Floor cleaner?

Postby William » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:06 am

IMO the safest cleaning agents would be depending on what you want to clean, alcohol, ammonia, bleach, and acid.(one at a time, mixing these ingredients can produce deadly gasses).

Small amounts of alcohol is harmless. In fact it is apparently quite common for people to dose alcohol to the tank intentionally.

Ammonia. Our biological filters are designed to process ammonia. The amounts of amonia that might make it's way into the tank would be processed in to nitrates in the blink of an eye. And if you worry that you got too much in the tank for your filtration to handle, just about everyone has a bottle of ammonia neutraliser sitting on the shelf.

Bleach. Same as with ammonia, chlorine nutralizers are very common and very effective. If you think you might have gotten some bleach in the tank, just add a bit of dechlorinator and all will be fine.

Acid. It's very easy to test if the amount of acid you got in the tank effected the PH. And if it does, it is very easy to counter the effect with buffer.

Personally, I don't worry about using any sort of chemicals around my tanks. I even spray Raid around the tanks. My guidelines are that it is safe for me to be in contact with it at the levels being used, it is fine to use near the tank. The only chemicals I worry about are the ones that say on the directions that one must where a gas-mask, immediately evacuate the building, or use outside.
Will
William

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry