how to cut a flowerpot

how to cut a flowerpot

Postby jadeguppy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:19 am

I see that using 1/2 a terra cotta pot is popular. What is needed to cut one in half? I invision them shattering into pieces. :shock:
jadeguppy

Re: how to cut a flowerpot

Postby Scottt » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:12 pm

I just use the whole thing...
Scottt

Postby NicoleCastle » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:58 pm

jadeguppy wrote:I see that using 1/2 a terra cotta pot is popular. What is needed to cut one in half? I invision them shattering into pieces. :shock:

Well, they sort of do. I bought a bunch and gently tapped along the sides with a chisel to start a crack. I think I only got one that shattered to the point of being unusable... the rest were just imperfectly halved. The fish don't care.

Now if I had a wet band saw, I would have tried that.
Don't count your gobies before they've metamorphasized.
NicoleCastle

Postby Zooid » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:58 pm

I cut some in half but my clowns would always lay on the outer curve of the pot which makes it difficult to aerate the eggs when removing the pot to hatch.
I only use full pots now. The fish seem to always lay the eggs inside the pot now.
When I cut the pots in half, I used a band saw and lots of water.
Zooid

Postby David M » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:02 pm

I have been told that HD will cut them for you with a tile saw. I cut them with a 4" angle grinder with a diamond blade, works well but it's messy, do it outside. I use full pots for clownfish anyway, 1/2 only for a few gobies.

Having said all that, if was starting from scratch I'd use flat tiles, much easier to set for hatch.
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Postby jadeguppy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:19 pm

My clowns are laying eggs in my display tank. They have choosen a spot on a support rock. I will have to collect them upon hatch. The pot is for the firefish. It sounds like I should try a full size pot first. Thanks for the feedback.
jadeguppy

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry