Keeping fish alive!!

Keeping fish alive!!

Postby sirenita » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:27 am

Keeping fish alive, should be the fist thing you should know how to do. I thought I did, but today I realize I don't. I used to keep my fish indoors (with A/C) and I was able to keep them alive for years. Recently I moved them outdoors, where all the protection they get is from a greenhouse I helped to built. Today, a few of my fish died because of the cold water!! I thought I new about keeping fish alive, but it is very different when they are outdoors, so I thought about sharing my experience: don't let fish in the cold!! when temperatures get under 60F you should start worring!! Today, we installed a quartz space heater, so we hope that is going to work out. I'll let you know what happens

Re: Keeping fish alive!!

Postby jadeguppy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:08 am

I've thought about doing something similar. Let us know what you find to be the best way to keep them warm. I live in NW Florida and have the same issues as you. One day the temperature is perfect, the next day it drops 20 ro more degrees. How many heaters do you have in the tank? I wonder how many are needed to keep a tank warm enough during our week or two of cold weather.

Re: Keeping fish alive!!

Postby Luis A M » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:13 pm

Welcome little mermaid! :D
Are the tanks in open air or within the greenhouse?.In any case electric in tank heaters seems the answer,considering cost.You could cover the tanks with styro sheets (or a blanket).But no major undertaking since FL cold days are so few... :wink:
Luis A M

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry