Reserch paper ?

Reserch paper ?

Postby areefscene » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 pm

I'm writing a paper on the positive effects of breeding and propagating marine fish and coral. My question is, are there any more good references I can find, other then clownfish breeding, and The book of coral propagation by Mr Calfo? I think I saw a book once about breeding dottybacks some where? If so is it a good reference book?
areefscene

Re: Reserch paper ?

Postby BaboonScience » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:40 am

Great Subject! This site is all about the captive breeding of marine fish and invertebrates.
Matt Wittenrich's book is the current authority on the subject. A great reference. As are Martin Moe's works. Joyce Wilkerson's book on clownfish breeding is a classic. Check out the bottom of the support page for a full list of book references with links to Amazon.com.
In addition numerous articles have been authored by various members of this site.
Numerous unpublished breeders logs and experiences are documented by many more of our members. If citing this information, please give credit to the author of the thread and source this site (marinebreeder.org). I would ask you to PM the author whose work you are planning to cite for permission. They will probably be honored.
Really too much here by very dedicated people to refer in one post.
Good researching.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby areefscene » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:04 am

Yes I will have to site info I find and will give the site and thread author credit. Are there any books on breeding the Bangii?
areefscene

Postby areefscene » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:19 am

Are there any breeders on here that do this for a living? I would like to ask a small list of questions for the paper.
areefscene

Postby BaboonScience » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:47 am

Really quite a few.
We try with our little operation! :roll:
Fisboy42, Clownfish75, DavidM, are all having a go at it.
This is a list.
viewtopic.php?f=233&t=530
A few others and some part time, home based business.

John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby areefscene » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:51 am

Other then being better of the environment what are other bennefits of breeding marine fish and inverts.
areefscene

Postby William » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:51 am

Honestly, the environmental impact of CB ornamentals is pretty negligible. With perhaps 1 or 2 species as exceptions, the aquarium industry is a very sustainable one. Unlike the foodfish industry where millions and millions of fish are caught every day, the numbers collected for ornamental use are just so small that the ocean has no difficulty replacing them. Many many more clownfish get eaten by groupers each day than are collected for the aquarium industry. Combined with the fact that only 1% (or less) of the currently available marine ornamentals are captive breed, there really is no significant environmental impact of breeding ornamentals.

Well I take that back. The amount of jet fuel it takes to ship all of those heavy boxes of water (with fish in them) around the world, is pretty bad on the environment. Much worse than the removal of a few clownfish from the ocean. And breeding them locally does significantly cut down on the amount of jet fuel required to transport the fish.

Perhaps when all of the inhabitants of the oceans have died from pollution, we can then repopulate the oceans with CB fish and inverts once the oceans get cleaned up, and then we can say that we saved the day. But until then, we can not claim much credit for "Saving the Environment".

Some things that I would consider benefits of CB ornamentals.

Price: The primary costs of Marine Ornamentals are due to the cost of overnight shipping a bucket of water half way around the world and the artificial price hike caused by the supply/demand mismatch of "Rare" items that are not frequently collected for what ever reason. With CB ornamentals, you cut out most of the shipping cost, and the "Rareness" factor quickly goes away too as previously rare items, become just as available as any other CB item.

CB makes better pets: CB fish are more at home in aquariums than wild caught fish. CB fish are less likely to die of shipping stress and are less likely to refuse food and starve to death. They are also less likely to arrive with some disease that can spread to your existing fish. And with coral's CB gives you higher quality. When choosing coral to propagate, you pick the best(most brightly colored) specimens possible. It makes it possible for everyone to fill their aquarium with 1 in a million quality specimens.

But those are reasons why people would want to buy CB ornamentals. None of that is why we do it. We do it because it is fun....
Will
William

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry