Breeding difficulty

Breeding difficulty

Postby sazmo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:57 am

I have had a good look around but may have missed it. Is there an overview of breeding difficulty for different species? Kind of a 1for easy - 4 for difficult etc etc
I have had some sucess with ocellaris / cinnamons and bangaiis but am trying to decide what next. I want to stick with the easier fish/inverts first. Anyone have any suggestions.?
sazmo

Re: Breeding difficulty

Postby William » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Dottybacks, Blennys, or Neon Gobies
Will
William

Postby medtnerfan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:12 pm

I would stay away from dottybacks, the larvae require copious amounts of zooplankton, either rotifers or
calanoid copepods. Try the Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto). As for invertebrates, you could try coral propagation. Clams have recently been tried by hobbyists with some success (http://www.reefbuilders.com/2008/04/30/ ... ridacnids/) but I would start with something easier. If you want to go way off the deep end, pick yourself up two cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) and hop on the Cleaner shrimp forum. They're simultaneous hermaphrodites, so any two individuals will do. Other species to look out for might be Trochus snails and Diadema urchins. Oh, and if you're looking for a very behaviourally interesting fish that may spawn in the aquarium, try the Yellow-headed Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons). Best of luck!
Killian
medtnerfan

Postby sazmo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:47 am

Cheers for the advise guys. I already have a 6 foot frag tank which has been running sucessfully so may go with the cleaners for my invert choice simply because I already have some.
Should be OK with the rotifers as I have them everywhere with all the clownfish fry although I am not sure of the ID of the copepods I culture.
I am limited to one 20 gallon tank left in the broodstock system so ideally I need something suitable for that.
sazmo

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry