Coral Bouquets...can there be or is there such a thing?

Coral Bouquets...can there be or is there such a thing?

Postby Lenimae » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:18 am

I'm quite new to corals and am thinking CREATIVITY & COLOR....

I know that certain corals can be deadly to one another and I know this from experience unfortunately! I'm wondering...is there is a safe zone....can certain coral frags be attached to the same plug to form and grow into a type of colorful coral-like bouquet??? If so, how do I find out which ones can live in perfect happy harmony with one another?

If there are any helpful websites that anybody can direct me to or any advice you'd like to pass along on this matter it would be so greatly appreciated!
Lenimae

Postby mpedersen » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:24 am

Hmm. I know one of our area shops used to do this (Sharky's Reef), where they'd take all sorts of zooanthid frags and mix them together on one rock. I've also seen this done with Mushroom Anemones. I believe GARF at one point had an article about doing precisely this to create more marketable and unique pieces?

FWIW,

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby William » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:33 pm

Very few soft corals will sting each other. Keep the stony's out of your bouquets and you should be fine from a stinging point of view.

The real trick from there will be growth rates. Different corals grow at very different speeds. Because of this, it will be next to impossible to take a rock and stick 10 small frags on it and let it fill in. If you do this, you will end up with one big coral with 9 small frags around the edges.

What you will need to do, is grow out the corals separately. Then 2-3 weeks before it is time to sell the bouquet cut all the corals off of their bases and glue them to the rock just how you want it. Give it a few weeks for the corals to heal and attach themselves to the rock. As soon as the corals are attached, it is time to sell it.

The growth rate problem still applies, but it will be shifted from your problem to the buyers problem. Eventually, the coral that grows the fastest will take over.
Will
William

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry