Water Problem???

Water Problem???

Postby Seanh » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:18 pm

I have a question and I'm not sure where to post it, so I'll try here:)

I have 2- 30 gallon tanks that have pre-mixed saltwater in them. One has a SG of 1.022 and one has a SG of 1.019. They both have a small powerhead to keep the circulation going and they ALWAYS have the lids on. The water is RO/DI water, the PH is perfect as are the other water parameters. I usually go through both these tanks in a week, so the water definately does not get old. My question is this:

At the bottom of both tanks I have a white calcium like deposit stuck against the tank. I can wash it off if I tank the tnaks outside and use a garden hose and scub it, but does anyone have any idea what it could be????

:?:
Seanh

Postby David M » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:21 pm

It's just calcium/ salts precipitating out from your salt mix. Just run the water through a small micron or carbon filter before use or simply put a filter on the tank, I use a Magnum 350 cannister filled with carbon. Every few weeks I clean out the mixing tank and eliminate as much of it as I can. The tank has a bottom drain and I just spray it down with a jet head on a garden hose, loosens 90% of the stuf and away it goes.
Seahorse Aquatics Current Availability List: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000
David M

Re: Water Problem???

Postby DaveA » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:45 am

Seanh wrote: I usually go through both these tanks in a week, so the water definately does not get old. :

Can freshly made water "get old?" Why would it? How can one tell that it's too old to use?
Dave A
Professor / Computer Programmer
http://AnguloConsulting.com
DaveA

Re: Water Problem???

Postby BaboonScience » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:05 am

Dave
Once mixed, I have found that salt water is incredibly stable unless something is growing in it.
Growing organisms can alter the pH and cause precipitation of salts but generally not much usually.
They can also precipitate salt ions for use in skeletons corals, fish bones etc. This can be significant in the case of corals.

I use the Randy Holmes-Farley method in my tanks and simply renew the major salts periodically. Half of the water in my 210 gallon is over 10 years old (sort of a long term experiment), the rest is over two years old. I have no problens with coral growth, fish survival/spawning etc.

So, yes and no. Yes, the water quality parameters can change with time in a system. No, sea water does not get hopelessly old .

Hope that this helps a little.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry