Reef question

Reef question

Postby NemoFan » Sun May 04, 2008 9:39 pm

Reef question.... I didn't see any forum that I could put this in, if you guys know something I don't, move as necessary! But I have a 46 gallon tank, I have a few corals, so i guess kinda a reef. All around my life rock there are little white hair-like worm-looking things... anyone know what they are? Looks like they created a little tuby thing but they are always out and just flowing around in the current. I also have these ugly anenome looking things that apparently multiply faster than rabbits and they are EVERYWHERE, I've tried time after time to pluck them off the rocks but they just regenerate in a few days and are worse than before... can anyone help?!?!
NemoFan

State/Region: California

Re: Reed question

Postby ShannPeach » Sun May 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Aptaisia or majano I would guess for the anemone things. I have majano myself and HATE them. I tried to inject them with Joe's Juice with no luck
ShannPeach

State/Region: Wisconsin

Postby NemoFan » Mon May 05, 2008 1:20 am

Man! They make me feel like I have to start over... looks like there are 2 different ones, maybe I have both!! AHHHH!!!! Maybe i should just raise fish and screw the reefs... as much as i love them... lol

OH and the topic should be REEF question, not reed lol oops!!
NemoFan

State/Region: California

Re: Reed question

Postby mrblue » Mon May 05, 2008 1:30 am

NemoFan wrote: All around my life rock there are little white hair-like worm-looking things... anyone know what they are? Looks like they created a little tuby thing but they are always out and just flowing around in the current.

Sounds like spaghetti worms or terebellid polychaetes to me, good clean up crew.

Ryan
If your not failing some of the time, your not reaching far enough.
mrblue

Postby Miles » Mon May 05, 2008 8:58 am

Get 2 or 3 peppermint shrimp for the aptasia. Sometimes they eat it, sometims they don't. At least you can try raising their babies :)
Miles

Re: Reef question

Postby Davedudeson » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:20 pm

i has some aiptasia as soon as i set my tank up with the live rock, as part of my CUCi got 2 peppermint shrimp within 8 hours the aiptasia was not in the tank anymore. so if you prefer natural methods which IMO is the better option then peppermints should do the trick, its definately worth a try
Davedudeson

Re: Reef question

Postby jadeguppy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:51 pm

I second the spagetti worms. White sting is what they look like and they make little tubes. No need to get rid of them. If you find that your do have aiptasia, which look like little anenomes, then I second the peppermint shrimp. I got all the rock for my 40g for free because it was covered with hundreds of aiptaisa. The peppermints took care of it. It two year I had no more problems. That was until I lost all my peppermint shrimp and added a pufferfish.
jadeguppy

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry