What do you do when your getting discouraged.

What do you do when your getting discouraged.

Postby HereFishyFishy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:02 am

What do you do when your breeding activities start to discourage you from continuing??
HereFishyFishy

Postby KathyL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:31 am

You quit.

We are only doing this for fun. When it ceases to be fun, it is time to quit.

You are the only one who can say if it is still fun, or if it is just a lot of trouble.

I don't know anyone who is successful at this that hasn't had their share of trouble. If you really want to be successful at this, you have to be prepared to fail a lot, and not be discouraged. It is a little known secret of all creative and groundbreaking discoverers and holds true for most things of value in life. Haven't you read Martin Moe's Breeding the Orchid Dottyback? How many times did it NOT work out for him? Was he discouraged? No, he expected failures, and he learned from every one. The rest of us just stand on the shoulders of that giant. Just my humble opinion.

In sum, if it ceases to be fun for you, don't waste your time. Life is too short for drudgery. I am sure you can sell your pairs and equipment.

If it really turns you on, learn to welcome failure and the opportunity to learn that only failure will offer you. If you decided to continue, please get your power strips up off the floor. I am afraid the kind of failure derived from failing to do this may be permanent, and no learning will occur ever again.

:D :D
KathyL

Postby fin farm » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:30 am

Well said Kathy
Larry
fin farm

Postby DThom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:10 am

I agree with Kathy.

However I will say that I get discouraged a lot as well. BUT I keep on going, because eventually you make a breakthrough, and will get past it.

Keep on going, and push through it. All good things in life take a lot of hard work. Sometimes the "hard" part of the work is to just keep going.
DThom

Postby mpedersen » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:16 am

Didn't someone somewhere say that the things worth doing are the hardest things to do...and something like it's only that difficult just to make sure you really, really want to succeed at it?

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:43 am

Don't let the virtue of "doing things worth doing" keep you in. It's only worth doing if it's worth doing TO YOU. Sometimes its just not your thing, and you have to " know when to fold 'em".

Slang translation: This is from a popular song. Know when to fold your cards and get out of the poker game. In other words, know when you are not going to win, and get out of the game before it gets too expensive.
KathyL

Postby HereFishyFishy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:33 am

Kenny Rogers fan huh Kathy?? :D

Yeah your right shouldn't expect it to be as simple as tying my shoelaces.

You all make fantastic hatch yields seem so simple thou. Just discouraged that over the weekend lost two perfect hatches to ammonia spikes and in the case of the clarkiis they just didn't hatch (with the exception of 3 who then fell to the ammonia). Further research lends me to think they maybe better to use a snagger on as Joyce mentions the male may give them a helping hand/queue ??

When I go feed my 5 juvenile Os. It's so fascinating to watch them and amazing how quickly they turned into mini clownfish.
HereFishyFishy

Postby Luis A M » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:10 pm

Watch it this way.Getting a clown pair to spawn is DIFFICULT,no matter what they say.
Raising the larvae and growing them out,is compared to that,very EASY.
Or in other terms,you´ve got about 95%of the work done,shame to quit here :D
And challenge is fun,isn´t it? :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby HereFishyFishy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:27 pm

challenge is fun but feel bad for the eggs I cant get to hatch. They're 95% of the way too.
HereFishyFishy

Postby The Ediaz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:16 pm

You are right when you say people here make it sound and even say its easy just because they done it for a couple of years and have success.

Breeding marine fish is very hard and frustranting with very little reward, I remenber 2-3 years ago some mods here could not raise fish to save their lives and after many trials raise lots today.

I been doing this for more than 17 years and know most authorities in the field and during all those years when I talked to them none have told me they having the time of their lives.I myself struggle every day to raise the needed fish.

If this affecting you you should quit and do something else or don't let it get to you if you can and try to succeed.

Funny you mention Joyce , even she quit years ago.

I think your problem is diet or bad water you starting the batch on.But thats another topic.

E
The Ediaz

Postby Peter Schmiedel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:44 pm

And even IF you raise a few you might realize that they are to miss barred or having other defects which prevents them to get on the market. We have about 200 percula und 400 premnas which I still feed although they can only be feeding fish. THATS what I call frustration. Anyway I learned out of all the mistakes ;) AND there is a Rhinopias frondosa pair for sale with a really giid price tag ... :D

But even with that many tanks I don't have space for the Rhinopias .... although trying to breed them might be really cool.

I am handling / breeding fish since about 30 years - one must really stand the frustration. No matter if breeding or just trying to keep them alive it is always a challenge and I don't assume I will ever compensate my losses! Luckily I am not doing it for the money
Take care
Peter
Peter Schmiedel

Postby Clownfish75 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:02 pm

This game is very rewarding and frustrating all at once. I have some success that most people would consider pretty reasonable as far as number cultured, having said that i am far form imune to problems, and i have to say im almost always stuck in one.

The best tip i can give you is to take a step back and re-assess the situation and get back into it. Im currently looking at a fairly mamoth job of seperateing a very large system, not an easy task but i think now i have it in my mind i should be able to knock it over next week.

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby chris melb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:39 am

As others have said if your getting discouraged it might be time to step back, scale down or stop completely. Might be best to weigh up (write down) the postivies and negatives of choosing which path to take, both short term and long term. Writing things down can be clearer and allow you to see the big picture and assess whats best for you.

IME, having been into breeding for the last two years, and all i could say would be that i wouldnt want to be doing this for a living. So many variables, things could wrong, i too am starting to realise that after two years and lot of money and work, i haven accomplished what i had intended too by now, it can be very stressful hobby.

A really good example of discouragement:

ive had six pairs of clowns for over year now, had rots and algae going for the same time. Ive finally noticed that my one pair of clowns have eggs, and i dont have enough rots, so i spent most of the last two days, trying to ramp up algaal cultures, rots. Researching again how to increase rot population, looking for ciliate contmination through a scope etc, trying to find out the reasons why my rots arent multiplying as fast as they should be. Also had to work out a larval snagger that would fit had to build one from scratch. Last night i was up till 2am thinking the eggs were going to hatch, as i could see silver eyes in the eggs, nothing happened, tonite im still up, waiting for the eggs, just had to go to the shops at midnight as the batteries went flat in my torch which i was using to snag the larvae. Ontop of all this, the temps in my tanks are creeping above what they should be with summer approaching, today i had setup my chiller. Its become more of a full time job for me. The excitement can quickly wear off if you dont have progressive success. It can really feel like your going backwards at times, but then there are other moments that you will remember for ever i.e the first clown to make it past meta. But yeah i hear yah, there is no certainty of success in this hobby we at times have vry little control, which makes things frustrating.
chris melb

Postby sihaya » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:01 pm

If it's something I can take a break from, I take a break. I think sometimes just stepping back and taking a breather can help a lot (in more ways than one-- good time to get new ideas too).
~namaste~
sihaya

Postby HereFishyFishy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:05 pm

If I had a few pairs in my basement I think I'd think differently. But having started with a space and 14 pairs I'm beginning to think they're better off with other hobbyists.
HereFishyFishy

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry