UV System Design Questions

UV System Design Questions

Postby CaptCrash » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:41 pm

In building up my grow out system for breeding, I’m adding in a UV system.

One of the issues is the return pump flow. The pump I’m using is a 16,000lph return.
The UV units I have each have a flow "window" of 3,000 - 5,000lph. The solution I’m planning on using is to join them all in parallel with a manifold at each side of the UV array.

This is what I am intending to build

Other than the inevitable loss of flow or the inducing of head height, can anyone see any issues with this approach?
Stay up to date with my attempts at Regal Tang Breeding here http://facebook.com/RegalTangBreeding
CaptCrash

Re: UV System Design Questions

Postby Ben » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:52 pm

I would run the inlet side as a cotinus loop as the flow to them will be equal the way it is the end one will get more flow
May not matter just a thought
My uv can take about the same amount of water through it as yours
i just run a small ehiem pump on it that pumps through it the total system water 1 per hr it gives the unit better contact time
Ben

Postby Clownfish75 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi, they would want to be massive UVs to get that sort of flow, your idea sounds fine, but you should try to make sure there is some isolation on them so you can rmeove one but run 3.

What model units are you using?

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby cannon77 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:22 am

If it was mine, I would get a seperate pump for the UV system and make sure it is rated for twice the amount of flow as a single UV unit. I would then run them in series. With the amount of twists and turns causing restriction, your flow would be right on the money. I use a seperate pump for my UV, I like being able to pull the UV apart and clean/change bulbs without disturbing anything else in the system.....Just my .02 ;)
Our goal with "The Clown Factory" is simple.......Breed beautiful clowns and keep the wild ones WILD!!! Just trying to do our small part to keep the worlds reefs as beautiful as God has intended them to be :D
cannon77

Postby jeff@zina.com » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:04 am

Don't try to match the UV to the needed flow, match the flow to the needed UV. Separate, smaller pump running the UV units and returning to a central sump beats trying ti=o engineer one into the main flow.

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Postby CaptCrash » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, the level of feedback that has been provided has been excellent.

My goals for the UV system is to run it for a period of time per day (3 times for 2 hours per day each, 6 hours total) as a proactive measure. If there is a need, then it will run 24x7, with a substituted lower volume return pump for the treatment period and close off the bypass line to process 100% of the water.

Due to budget, the units I have purchased are not high quality/high output, so water throughput is a challenge as is the dwell time. They are low cost non branded Chinese units, so the rating information I have for them may be overly optermistic.

Based on the feedback people have provided (both here and from other sources), the design has now been somewhat changed.

This will hopefully give me a unit, that I can adjust the dwell time of the water passing through it, plus provide for a greater volume of water being processed than a single or serial set of units. I have remained with the parallel design at this stage, though I don’t really have a reason for this. My initial thinking was for more water flow, but the more I think about this, the realisation I am coming to is that the only thing I should care about here is the maximum kill rate, hence low water flow.

By changing the design to having both the input and output lines at the top of the manifolds and closed manifolds, I shouldn’t be able to run the units dry and I’m of the belief that it will provide for as equal a pressure as possible across all of the UV units, hence balanced throughput.

Im planning on using a removable connection between each of the UV units and the manifolds (not shown in the diagram). So in the case of maintenance or failure, I can replace the entire UV unit or substitute it with capped piece of pipe at both ends.

New Design

Is there anything that anyone feels is missing or that I may have misunderstood?
Stay up to date with my attempts at Regal Tang Breeding here http://facebook.com/RegalTangBreeding
CaptCrash

Postby jeff@zina.com » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Is there anything that anyone feels is missing or that I may have misunderstood?

One more valve so you can completely bypass the UV unit for maintenance. In between the Tee toward the grow out tanks and the UV unit so there's no open piping if you remove the UV assembly.

Jeff
jeff@zina.com

Postby Clownfish75 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:36 am

What Jeff said, plus you need a flow meter so you have accurate control over the flow rate, not just a stab in the dark.

Do you have any idea of the dose rate the uv tubes will provide? Have you ordered the units yet? There is a possibility to construct your own, do you know any people who have a metal lathe?

You need to tune your flow so that the dose of UV kills the desired recipient not just give it a suntan.

You will also maximise your flow and reduce your frictional losses if you increase your pipe diameter from the pump to the tanks and also the in and out feed of the UV.

Christian
Clownfish75

Return to General Aquarium Husbandry