Hinge Beak spawn

Hinge Beak spawn

Postby captain » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi All,

last night I got a spawn of some hinge beak shrimp to have a try with. I have between 100-200 larvae. Have put them in a BRT with a little nanno and rots.They are much smaller than pepp larvae so it will take a few days until I will add NHBBS. Not much on the net about these guys so I will learn as I go.
cheers
Captain
captain

Re: Hinge Beak spawn

Postby r33fking » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:33 pm

i was getting spawns about every 2 weeks .
i had tried nhbs on day 2 or 3 and watched them eating them .
i didnt use greenwater .
20 gallon glass tank and over head ceiling light
i lost them to a loose fitting sponge filter that had crammed a lot of them together and the nh3 spiked .
Good luck with them
Aron
*******FISH 'R' FRIENDS*******
r33fking

Postby captain » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:31 pm

All seems good at this stage plenty left. Larvae appear to be eating the rots as their gut is dark in colour now. Will look at adding NHBBS either tommorrow or the next day.
captain

Postby captain » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Small update. Due to having to fly away from work this batch was fast tracked so to speak. After the first 3 days I moved any remaining larvae with some peppermint larvae I have going. There were significant deaths between day 2/3, I think due to water quality being I had them in brt with approx 2lt water.But I still have 1 survivor now 17 days old, eating well and growing heaps coexisting with the pepp larvae.
Will certainly give these guys are more serious effort after the festive season/holidays etc.
cheers
captain

Postby FuEl » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:11 am

Raised these guys before, quite tough things and don't seem to be affected by strong aeration. Feed rotifers and greenwater, starting newly hatched brine shrimp around day 10. They start settling around 3 weeks.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby captain » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:11 am

FuEl wrote:Raised these guys before, quite tough things and don't seem to be affected by strong aeration. Feed rotifers and greenwater, starting newly hatched brine shrimp around day 10. They start settling around 3 weeks.

Going by your method I think I may have ommitted the rots to early. When I transferred the larvae they were in a flow though system, rots were no longer used.
Anyway next time I attempt these again I will keep the rots for longer.
cheers
captain

Return to Other Carideans