Breeding Alpheus sp

Breeding Alpheus sp

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:40 am

On May 14th,I bought two pinkish with white marks Alpheus.I couldn´t match it with any of the pictures of my books,so the species could not be determined at this time.
They were placed in a 10 gal.tank with a DSB and some pieces of PVC pipes half buried in the sand.
The first nights I heard a lot of snapping sound.Then silence.But only one shrimp could be seen :(
So ten days later I purchased two more,the last remaining at the lfs and put them in the tank.Again lots of noise and then peace again.Another shrimp dissapeared but the two remaining,a big and a smaller one,were sharing one of the pipe caves.
Two nights ago I found them for the first time in different pipes.The following night several hundred larvae hatched.Today they are together again.The female has not molted yet.
Larvae hatch larger than Stenopus or Lysmata.Z1 has short antennae and shiny green eyes.
Has somebody any info about how to pair them off and about larvae raising?

Luis
Luis A M

Postby joefrith » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:33 am

I'd say you've accomplished pairing them off :D . Good luck with the larvae.
joefrith

Postby DrHsu » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:41 am

Hi Luis,

My experience from Alpheus randalli has been that if they don't kill each other in the confines of a nano tank, then you have a pair :D

Seriously, for A randalli what I do is to look at the shape/size of the snapping claw and also the body. The females are kind of "thicker", the males more "slender" :) There was an info leaflet I picked up from a LFS in Japan that showed the male and female next to each other. I could not read the text but roughly translated by my friends to mean what I described above. Unfortunately I have lost the original and am not sure where my jpeg of the article is...Maybe our friend Bandeng can remember it - it was a leaflet about Stonogobiops nematodes and had a side article on the randalli.

Not that long ago, I had hatches of A randalli, but I never kept them more than 1 day....plus I wasn't into trying to keep them alive then - just long enough to see if they would stimulate feeding in some newborn flamboyant cuttles! 8)
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Zoea 2

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:35 am

So these shrimp are very agressive,like Stenopus! :? It could mean problems after meta,perhaps requiring individual isolation :?
The larvae molted and many remain stuck at the surface,like water fleas taken out of the water... :roll:
But fast growers they are! :shock: Z2 at 2 days!
See the pediculated eyes:

Luis
Luis A M

Postby FuEl » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:00 am

Interesting Luis, are the larvae started on rotifers?
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:47 pm

No,I keep with bbs-Oto.Too soon to know how it works,anyway.Larvae are larger than Stenopus and much more than Lysmata,though.
Following links from RC are worth seeing:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... ht=Alpheus
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... ht=Alpheus
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Bandeng » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:51 pm

DrHsu wrote:
There was an info leaflet I picked up from a LFS in Japan that showed the male and female next to each other. I could not read the text but roughly translated by my friends to mean what I described above. Unfortunately I have lost the original and am not sure where my jpeg of the article is...Maybe our friend Bandeng can remember it - it was a leaflet about Stonogobiops nematodes and had a side article on the randalli.

I was not aware of the leaflet. With more information about the leaflet I may get that and translate. I am also interested in reading that.

Bndeng
Bandeng
MOFIB Translator

Zoea 3

Postby Luis A M » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:24 am

3rd zoea at 3 days! :shock: Never seen faster shrimp larvae!

They are now 4.2 mm.Z1 and Z2 had three pairs of legs (pereiopods).Z3 has all five pairs.5th pair is remarkable,very long and pointing forward,like those of Lysmata.But they don´t have paddles,they end in long thin points.Should be interesting to know the purpose of these strange appendix,if they have one! :o
Uropods have formed,both endops and exops,they´re shorter than telson.
Antennae and rostrum are slightly longer.
Luis
Luis A M

Re:

Postby DrHsu » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:58 am

Bandeng wrote:DrHsu wrote:
There was an info leaflet I picked up from a LFS in Japan that showed the male and female next to each other. I could not read the text but roughly translated by my friends to mean what I described above. Unfortunately I have lost the original and am not sure where my jpeg of the article is...Maybe our friend Bandeng can remember it - it was a leaflet about Stonogobiops nematodes and had a side article on the randalli.

I was not aware of the leaflet. With more information about the leaflet I may get that and translate. I am also interested in reading that.

Bndeng

Found my jpeg of the page:

Hope you can translate it for us all. My previous translators did not really know about fish keeping so was not sure if the translation was correct.
Li Chieh

DrHsu

Postby Bandeng » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:03 am

I think you have a good translator. Just for confirmatio, my translation is as follows:

Look at closely these small and beautiful Rndall's Pistol Shrimps. This shrimp has two types; one is with a pair of small snapping claw (Lower photo), and the other is with a pair of larger claw (Upper photo). This is one of the criteria to distinguish their sex. Same as to having a pair of symbiotic goby in an aquarium, it will look more dense and delightful when you keep this shrimp as pair.

The text in your leaflet did not mention which one of the two is male or female. It only said the size of "snapping claw" is big or small.
Bandeng
MOFIB Translator

Postby DrHsu » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:46 am

Thanks for the translation. I always believed the thinner individuals to be male and the thicker to be female...but of course, may be wrong - have to look closely at those gravid ones closer next time.
Li Chieh

DrHsu

Postby FuEl » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:21 pm

Hmm..think DrHsu mentioned this to me before. An additional thing to note is that the larger claw might be on different sides for different sexes. :idea:
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby Luis A M » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Junkai,who´s the pretty smiling girl in your home avatar? :)
Is it possible that there is NO descriptions of larvae and rearing them? :shock:
Luis
Luis A M

Re:

Postby FuEl » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:12 am

Luis A M wrote:Junkai,who´s the pretty smiling girl in your home avatar? :)
Is it possible that there is NO descriptions of larvae and rearing them? :shock:

What pretty girl? :shock: I only see Dendrobates tinctorus citronella morph.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Re:

Postby Luis A M » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:23 am

FuEl wrote:
Luis A M wrote:Junkai,who´s the pretty smiling girl in your home avatar? :)

What pretty girl? :shock: I only see Dendrobates tinctorus citronella morph.

"home avatar"=Singapore site.
OK,don´t tell 8)
Luis
Luis A M

Zoea 4

Postby Luis A M » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:16 am

The 4th zoea at day 6.Telson is now squarish and still longer than the uropods.There are now five pairs of swimming legs,uniramous and with long swimming setae at the end.
So only now the larva has all pairs of pereiopods,and the first pair of legs must be MP3,the third maxilipedia.The other four are pereiopods 1-4,while pereiopod 5 is the long strange appendix.

focusing on the tail:

Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:20 pm

Still seem to be at the same stage.But I must correct myself about the pereiopods;they are biramous.With a microscope I could see the "walking legs" ended in sharp points.They could be seen in the last pic,the yellow legs pointing down.
Only few larvae remain :( .I siphoned lots of dead ones today.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:29 am

Only two remain at 13 days :roll:
Look more developed but I can not see any clear morphological change as to define stages.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:44 am

Vanished :(
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Other Carideans